Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Disk Space Issue
VideoProducer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 03, 2012 14:55 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I cannot install the software. I have 70 GB of free disk space on my external drive. I have told the installer to install the software on the external drive. There is only 500 MB of free space on my primary drive, and it seems it keeps trying to install there. I have edited the settings in the installer application to install on my external drive, but it keeps saying low disk space. I even put the installer on my external drive to see if that would work, and it did not.
My machine satisfies the system requirements.
It seems like it is forcing itself to install on the C drive, and I do not want that. It is ignoring my configuration setting to have it install in the D drive through the CyberLink installer manager.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 15. 2019 21:50

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
To be perfectly honest, if you only have 500MB of free space on your C: drive I think you'll end up with serious issues sooner or later. It's also generally a not a great idea to install software on external drives for many reasons, and it would be preferable to use another internal drive, if possible.

Hard drives are very affordable these days, and unless you have a laptop, it should be easy and inexpensive to clone your existing drive onto a much bigger SSD and get lots of performance boost to go along with your new capacity. You could also partition it into C: and D: drives and use the D: drive for videos and documents while using the C: drive just for the OS and programs/apps.

If you can't upgrade your C: drive, you can create a junction linking the C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector18 folder to a new folder on your external drive, so when you install PD, the installer thinks it's going onto the C: drive but Windows is actually copying all the files to the external drive.

Use mklink /J "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector18" "x:\PD18" (where x: is your external drive's letter). See this link, or Google if you need more info.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
VideoProducer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 03, 2012 14:55 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote To be perfectly honest, if you only have 500MB of free space on your C: drive I think you'll end up with serious issues sooner or later. It's also generally a not a great idea to install software on external drives for many reasons, and it would be preferable to use another internal drive, if possible.

Hard drives are very affordable these days, and unless you have a laptop, it should be easy and inexpensive to clone your existing drive onto a much bigger SSD and get lots of performance boost to go along with your new capacity. You could also partition it into C: and D: drives and use the D: drive for videos and documents while using the C: drive just for the OS and programs/apps.

If you can't upgrade your C: drive, you can create a junction linking the C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector18 folder to a new folder on your external drive, so when you install PD, the installer thinks it's going onto the C: drive but Windows is actually copying all the files to the external drive.

Use mklink /J "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector18" "x:\PD18" (where x: is your external drive's letter). See this link, or Google if you need more info.

Thank you for the quick response! I agree with you on the low disk space, but upgrading the primary drive is not something I can do at the current time. I am using power director 365, so I'm not sure if I can even make that link yet, because I cannot even get it to install to the machine. Every time I click install on the application manager, it says the disk is full. I know that is in trying to install on the incorrect drive, versus my secondary. Sounds like your trick may let it download.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2019 00:46