Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Issue importing .mov files
Forecaster [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 28, 2016 14:10 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have just re-installed my system and updated PowerDirector from 15 to 18/365 and when I open my old project files and it tries to import the intro and outro files it fails to do so with an "An error occurred while opening this media file...broken...unsupported...etc" message.

The files in question were produced with Photoshop a while ago on the old system. I tried re-rendering the into sequence which I have the photoshop file for, but the resulting file is imported as an audio track only (which is empty as is expected).

I have no idea what is wrong, these files used to work as I've rendered uptowards hundreds of videos with them, but I don't know if something has changed in windows/PowerDirector, or if something is missing in the new system (codec or similar) that prevents it from working. The files plays as they should in Windows Media Player as well as in VLC as they should.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for things to try to resolve this as soon as possible so I can resume video production!

You can find the three relevant .mov files here: https://towerofawesome.org/files/pdvideo_files/

If you require additional information from my system ask and I will provide!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
These are transparent RGBA clips (meaning they have an alpha channel for opactiy info), and they work just fine in PD365 on my system:

Chances are that you don't have QuickTime installed on your system, or it's not configured correctly. QT is required for all MOV clips.

It should have been installed when you (re)installed PD15, and also by PD18 if it wasn't already installed, but you can double check by right-clicking on the Windows Start menu, then going to Apps & features and typing "quick" into the search box. If it's installed, you should easily see it:

If it does appear, click on Modify, and then on Repair and see if that solves the issue.

If it's not present, you can install QTLite rather than Apples QT, because Apple no longer supports QT for Windows.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Forecaster [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 28, 2016 14:10 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote These are transparent RGBA clips (meaning they have an alpha channel for opactiy info), and they work just fine in PD365 on my system:

Chances are that you don't have QuickTime installed on your system, or it's not configured correctly. QT is required for all MOV clips.

It should have been installed when you (re)installed PD15, and also by PD18 if it wasn't already installed, but you can double check by right-clicking on the Windows Start menu, then going to Apps & features and typing "quick" into the search box. If it's installed, you should easily see it:

If it does appear, click on Modify, and then on Repair and see if that solves the issue.

If it's not present, you can install QTLite rather than Apples QT, because Apple no longer supports QT for Windows.

I did indeed not have QuickTime installed. I never re-installed PD15 but rather decided to just get a much needed update instead. I don't think PD365 offered to install QT.

Regardless, installing QTLite allowed successfully opening my trusty template project again, thank you very much!