CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't Play the First Chapter
Reply to this topic
Greg2011 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Nov 09, 2019 16:37 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I recently purchsed a "Dell USB Slim DVD Drive" that came with CyberLink Media Suite. The first almost 2 weeks I've been using this dvd player with no issues.

Recently I started running into an error where the first "chapter" (The basis copyright FBI warning) does not play. In cinema mode, it is just a black screen and in classic mode the FBI warning page just stays on the screen and does not proceed.

The additional part that makes this glitch odd is if I go into classic mode, then stop then play a dvd the chapter selection screen comes up and I can skip into the show (I think it like chapter 5 each time). After that point get the dvd to play correctly from that point on.

What can be done to fix this error, so I can watch dvds again with out needed to glitch over the start of the DVD?

So far, I've attempted to uninstall and reinstall the program (The installation disc did not show any issue of reinstalling).

For additional information, I am using a Windows 10 computer.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 4649 Offline
[Post New]
Click the word PowerDVD on the top corner of the screen and let us know the Version number you have. Click the up arrow to find any updates.
Greg2011 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Click the word PowerDVD on the top corner of the screen and let us know the Version number you have. Click the up arrow to find any updates.

When I clicked on the word in the top left, I found this information attatched. It looks like it is version 12.05318.05
[Thumb - Capture.PNG]
 Filename
Capture.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
182 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 4649 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I recently purchsed a "Dell USB Slim DVD Drive" that came with CyberLink Media Suite. The first almost 2 weeks I've been using this dvd player with no issues.

Recently I started running into an error where the first "chapter" (The basis copyright FBI warning) does not play. In cinema mode, it is just a black screen and in classic mode the FBI warning page just stays on the screen and does not proceed.

The additional part that makes this glitch odd is if I go into classic mode, then stop then play a dvd the chapter selection screen comes up and I can skip into the show (I think it like chapter 5 each time). After that point get the dvd to play correctly from that point on.

Thank you for supplying the screenshot for Power Media Player 12. This explains everything. The first two weeks you were correctly opening PowerDVD 12 to view your DVDs. Now you are opening Power Media Player 12 instead which is meant to play video files. Although the screens of the two different apps look similar, they are not the same. See this FAQ: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=17032&prodId=1&prodVerId=1102 .

Simply open PowerDVD instead of the Power Media Player to play DVDs correctly. Hope this helps.
Greg2011 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thank you for supplying the screenshot for Power Media Player 12. This explains everything. The first two weeks you were correctly opening PowerDVD 12 to view your DVDs. Now you are opening Power Media Player 12 instead which is meant to play video files. Although the screens of the two different apps look similar, they are not the same. See this FAQ: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=17032&prodId=1&prodVerId=1102 .

Simply open PowerDVD instead of the Power Media Player to play DVDs correctly. Hope this helps.

I tried looking around on my computer, and found no copy of a program called "PowerDVD 12" (Or any other verison), excluding a folder found next to another folder called "LocalStorage_V2" which did not seem to have any program start up file within it. The DVD I used to install everything was called "Media Suite 12" and does mention on the disc it has "PowerDVD 12".

The past 2 weeks, I had been using Power Media Player. The attached image, is what I normally do see and will still run DVDs under.
[Thumb - Capture(2).PNG]
 Filename
Capture(2).PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
461 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Power Media Player is still available, and I see nothing in the product description or in the FAQ that it will play DVDs although it will play the dvd vob files. It is possible that other users can post on their experience with commercial protected DVDs with it. I guess that it must have worked for you for the two weeks.

You can also play DVDs for free with the pc Windows Media Player and VLC.

It is also possible that Cyberlink technical support may have an answer on what you are experiencing and can help if you contact them.
Reply to this topic