Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Elgato Capture Device
Steve6316 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 10, 2012 22:31 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I hooked up my Elgato capture device from my VCR to my Windows PC.
The device is recognized in the Capture window but when I play the tape nothing happens.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your time.

Steve
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Change the video connection type from s-video to composite in the PD16 capture settings if you don't have an s-video cable connection. This is just one of the settings.
Steve6316 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Change the video connection type from s-video to composite in the PD16 capture settings if you don't have an s-video cable connection. This is just one of the settings.

Thanks for the reply.

I did not see that s-video among the Capture Options.

I did find the option to select "Audio In" to the Elgato device but still nothing.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
When I click the settings button on PD then a window pops up with all the tabs to make the different settings. In all the videos I have seen the capture with the Elgato device is via the supplied software and none with PowerDirector like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USuVnUi67-Q . You can use PowerDirector but must choose and make the right settings with all the dialog boxes. Try the supplied software. You can then import the catured videos into PowerDirector.
Steve6316 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote When I click the settings button on PD then a window pops up with all the tabs to make the different settings. In all the videos I have seen the capture with the Elgato device is via the supplied software and none with PowerDirector like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USuVnUi67-Q . You can use PowerDirector but must choose and make the right settings with all the dialog boxes. Try the supplied software. You can then import the catured videos into PowerDirector.

Well, I guess i'll have to go that route altho I'm frustrated by the memory of in the past being able to capture out of PD without having to install the device software.

thanks tho.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
This probably explains the problem. Unless the device driver software is installed then no editing or capture software will work.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Well, I guess i'll have to go that route altho I'm frustrated by the memory of in the past being able to capture out of PD without having to install the device software.

It's really up to the device manufacturers to provide a driver that other Windows apps can use. They can also create a driver that only works with specific software, and maybe that's the case here.

I don't know if you've just purchased the Elgato or not, but I'm going to start transferring VHS tapes and I found this very inexpensive device on Amazon.

It's only US $13.99 (vs. almost $80 for the Elgato), and I didn't even bother loading the included DVD. Instead, I simply plugged it in to my Surface Pro 3 and let Win 10 install the appropriate driver.

As you can see, I can record directly from PD's Capture room (this is PD18, but PD16 should work the same way):

It can record to AVI, MPEG-2 or MP4, and I'll see how well it captures videos in the next couple of days

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Steve6316 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote This probably explains the problem. Unless the device driver software is installed then no editing or capture software will work.

Bingo! That was the answer.

Just remember to go also into the Settings on the PD capture screen and switch the "Audio Device" to "Elgato Video Capture".