where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Low resolution clip after import
Reply to this topic
_spike_spiegel_ [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Sep 10, 2019 20:00 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello guys

I am using PD 17, and when i import a screen recorded movie, i noticed that it got REALLY bad quality.

The screen record was made using Screenspresso (at that time I didn't know that PD can screen record)...but when i checked the quality (using VLC) I had no issue

For info: the screen record scene is assembeled with another clip recorded my camera... and resolutions are respectively: 1916x1034 (15 fps) and 1280x720 (30fps)

any recommandations to improve the situation? (I cannot record the creen again for many reasons)

Thanks for your help
[Thumb - PD render.JPG]
 Filename
PD render.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - VLC.JPG]
 Filename
VLC.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Sep 10. 2019 21:02

optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 3692 Offline
[Post New]
Are you using shadow files? You can disable them for clips with these resolutions and your preview should improve.

Also, what is your preview Quality set to? Make sure it's HD or higher:

FYI Neither of these settings affect the output quality in any way- only the quality of the editing room.
youtube/optodata

DS365 | Win10 Pro | 8 Core/16T i9-9900K (4.8GHz) | RTX 2070 | 32GB RAM | 6TB SSDs

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | HF S200 (HD 30p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
_spike_spiegel_ [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Sep 10, 2019 20:00 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there... thank for the reply

No I am not using shadow file (i am not sure how to use them by the way)...also, the preview is at the same quality as your screen shot

Moreover, the screen shots I shared was after production... To select the best resolution, I clicked on "Profile Analyzer", and I chose the one with 30fps

if I chose the profile at 15fps, it would mess with the rest of the movie

so i am wondering what I did wrong

Thanks again for any help
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 3692 Offline
[Post New]
You didn't say anything about producing the clip in your original post, and like I said at the end of my last post, neither of my suggestions will have any impact on the produced clip. Also, producing to "30fps" doesn't tell us anything about the resolution, and that's what really matters.

If you produced to a low resolution, like 320x240, the quality will be lousy because there aren't anywhere near enough pixels to store the info from your original clips. If you produce to a different frame rate than your clips are recorded at, PD will handle all of the frame math so that the clip still plays at the correct speed.

For example, if you produced your video at 15fps, PD would simply skip every other frame in the 30fps source clip and "the rest of the movie" would NOT be messed up. The same when producing to 30fps - PD will double every frame in the 15fps source clip so that it maintains the correct playback pace.

Again, the key to getting quality output is to match the input resolution as closely as possible.

The Profile Analyzer should have given you several choices. Try using it again, and this time choose the 1280x720 option regardless of the fps rate (although I expect it would be set to 30).

You can also manually adjust any setting by clicking on the "+" to the right of the Profile name/Quality: listing, and then making the desired changes and click on OK to save the new profile.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 11. 2019 16:32

youtube/optodata

DS365 | Win10 Pro | 8 Core/16T i9-9900K (4.8GHz) | RTX 2070 | 32GB RAM | 6TB SSDs

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | HF S200 (HD 30p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Reply to this topic