Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 19 can't see Chromecast
endl3ss [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2014 17:11 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I bought PowerDVD 19 yesterday since it was stated that it had Chromecast support, and I wanted the option of casting videos/movies from my PC to my TV.
Looking at the ads, it seemed simple enough; right-click on the relevant file and choose "Play to....", and you'd have the different casting/streaming options to choose from.

Trouble is, PowerDVD 19 doesn't see my Chromecast.
It sees my TV (a Samsung 55inch Smart-TV) and can even play videos to it (DLNA).
It shows a VR-option.
But no Chromecast. It's not there. As in, it doesn't show up as an option for playing to.

I've tried reinstalling the software, but no dice. I've installed the latest patch, still nothing.
Running Vindows 10, btw.
There's nothing wrong with the Chromecast itself. Google Chrome definitely sees it (I'm casting Youtube through Chrome as I'm writing this).
Airflow also sees my Chromecast, and is very capable of casting videos and movies on my harddrive to Chromecast (Watched "Dogma" last night).
Even VLC sees and casts to my Chromecast.
So the issue is with PowerDVD 19, nothing else.

Anybody else with this issue, and any ideas how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance!
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Chromecast Ultra with wired connection?

Terminate all simultaneous casting from other PC apps to Chromecast.

Open Google Chrome to discover Chromecast devices to ensure the Chromecast device is on the casting list.

Open powerdvd and check if the Chromecast shows on the "Play to" list while the Chrome browser opened the available casting device list concurrently.

My casting works using the above way, or you just make your Chromecast use WiFi, no issues then.
endl3ss [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2014 17:11 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Chromecast Ultra with wired connection?

Terminate all simultaneous casting from other PC apps to Chromecast.

Open Google Chrome to discover Chromecast devices to ensure the Chromecast device is on the casting list.

Open powerdvd and check if the Chromecast shows on the "Play to" list while the Chrome browser opened the available casting device list concurrently.

My casting works using the above way, or you just make your Chromecast use WiFi, no issues then.

I'm running a 2nd Generation Chromecast over WIFI, on my 5 GHz net.
The Chromecast is not the issue here, the issue is PowerDVD 19 not seeing the Chromecast.
Google Chrome sees it over WIFI.
Airflow (another casting videoplayer) sees it over WIFI.
VLC sees it over WIFI.
PowerDVD 19 does not see it over WIFI.

Tried the trick you mentioned above, unfortunately it did not work. Tried it both with Chrome and Airflow, still no dice.
Thanks for suggestions though
prevaljo [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 01, 2017 22:19 Messages: 105 Offline
[Post New]
I thought I'd bump this thread. It has been many months since anybody commented and there have been a couple of patches for DVD19 since, but it still won't see or play to a Chromecast. Why does DVD19 default to playing to a VR Headset, I've never had one never even considered having one. In the meantime VLC have upgraded VLC and it can now play to Chromecast no problemo.
prevaljo [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 01, 2017 22:19 Messages: 105 Offline
[Post New]
Time moves on, for a long time my copies of PowerDVD have been unable to connect to my Chromecast, even though I could cast YouTube from my desktop. PowerDVD18, 19, 20 and 21 failed despite my belief that the next version would resolve the issue. Yesterday I replaced the core router a Synology rt1900ac (definitely Synology and 1900). Connection to my Chromecast from PowerDVD 20 on my desktop is now flawless. I have spent hours trying to resolve this issue, raised a number of support tickets, reset routers, switches and Chromecasts, couldn't understand why PowerDVD could only "see" 3d headset (which I don't have).