Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Odd jitter on preview and output
dankreider [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 07, 2014 13:06 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys,

I screen-captured a tutorial on a 4K monitor. The captured video file plays back fine.

But when I import it into PD, It flickers oddly. Export to mp4 acts the same: https://youtu.be/StexaSJIu2E

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!!
Dan

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 16. 2019 12:59

dankreider [Avatar]
[Post New]
EDIT: shoot. The tutorial videos somehow recorded at 12 fps. Is there a way I can fix this without redoing it??

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 16. 2019 13:11

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote EDIT: shoot. The tutorial videos somehow recorded at 12 fps. Is there a way I can fix this without redoing it??

Not really. If your source is recorded at 12fps, re-encoding it at 30 or 60fps won't change anything about the jitters, other than possibly stetching them out a bit, timewise. Are you using the ScreenRecorder(2?) that comes bundled with PD? You can change the resolution and fps settings from the gear icon (Settings) menu.

You're dealing with Moire pattern issues with those straight lines on your screen, so make sure you're recording at the highest resolution.
dankreider [Avatar]
[Post New]

Not really. If your source is recorded at 12fps, re-encoding it at 30 or 60fps won't change anything about the jitters, other than possibly stetching them out a bit, timewise. Are you using the ScreenRecorder(2?) that comes bundled with PD? You can change the resolution and fps settings from the gear icon (Settings) menu.

You're dealing with Moire pattern issues with those straight lines on your screen, so make sure you're recording at the highest resolution.

I recorded at 4K. But the odd thing is that the video plays perfectly when I open it in Windows (using basically any app). I just can't manage to edit it!!

I'm trying to upload it to YouTube and Vimeo, then download and see if they convert it successfully.

I used Movavi Screen Capture.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
What profile did you produce to? Could you upload a short source clip to the cloud and post the link to it so others can experiment with it?
dankreider [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote What profile did you produce to? Could you upload a short source clip to the cloud and post the link to it so others can experiment with it?

Sure, thanks. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ka1p4w9e3g0v7p8/Finale%20tutorial%201.mp4?dl=0. The audio was on a separate track.

I don't know what profile it was. Movavi has very few options. You can just set max frame rate, not minimum or fixed.

I haven't had this problem with other screen captures. Maybe because this was 4K and long, Movavi cut down my frame rate severely.
dankreider [Avatar]
[Post New]

Sure, thanks. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ka1p4w9e3g0v7p8/Finale%20tutorial%201.mp4?dl=0. The audio was on a separate track.

I don't know what profile it was. Movavi has very few options. You can just set max frame rate, not minimum or fixed.

I haven't had this problem with other screen captures. Maybe because this was 4K and long, Movavi cut down my frame rate severely.

Problem solved! (or at least, avoided)

I was able to open the original Movavi project file and re-export it at 30 fps.

Thanks for the help!
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I don't know what profile it was. Movavi has very few options. You can just set max frame rate, not minimum or fixed.

No, I meant what produce profile did you use in PD? PD17 has a profile analyzer and it created a custom 4K profile with a 9.2kbps bitrate and a very odd 20.83fps:

I then produced a 30 sec clips starting @ 18:23 in your shared clip. As you can see, it doesn't show any visual artifacts.

Try making a custom produce profile in PD like mine (use 24 or 25fps) and see if that helps. If not, please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting sticky thread and attach the DxDiag test results along with a screenshot of PD's version screen so we can see how your system is set up.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 16. 2019 14:58

dankreider [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow, that's exactly what I'm after.

I'm using PD 14, sadly. Sounds like I need to upgrade in order to do this?

EDIT: purchased the upgrade and installing now. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 16. 2019 15:46