Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Moving project to another folder/computer
[Post New]
Hi,

I wonder if there is any solution for this problem?

I have a nice project folder with subfolders for various media types. Now I want to edit it on my laptop while on a trip.
How do I do it? Exporting project via "Pack Project Materials" is not a good idea at all because all my nicely crafted folder structure vanishes.

Is there any other solution allowing to preserve folder structure? _______________________________
regards, Tom
(PD365, Win10 Pro x64, Dell Precision T3500, Xeon W3670, 12GB, SSD)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I wonder if there is any solution for this problem?

I have a nice project folder with subfolders for various media types. Now I want to edit it on my laptop while on a trip.
How do I do it? Exporting project via "Pack Project Materials" is not a good idea at all because all my nicely crafted folder structure vanishes.

Is there any other solution allowing to preserve folder structure?

If you can move all the folders to the same drive letter on your laptop, you won't need to do anything other than open the project on your laptop. For example, if your main computer has folders D:\Videos\Project clips and your laptop also has a D: drive, just copy everything.

If your laptop doesn't have that drive letter, you can create a new partition from the C: drive and assign it the same letter as your desktop.

You can also just copy all the folders to the laptop's C: drive, and when you open PD it will alert you that it can't find the clips, and all you need to do is browse to the new folder and PD will update their locations. You will need to go through those steps each time you open a project for the first time on your laptop.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]

If you can move all the folders to the same drive letter on your laptop, you won't need to do anything other than open the project on your laptop. For example, if your main computer has folders D:\Videos\Project clips and your laptop also has a D: drive, just copy everything.

If your laptop doesn't have that drive letter, you can create a new partition from the C: drive and assign it the same letter as your desktop.

You can also just copy all the folders to the laptop's C: drive, and when you open PD it will alert you that it can't find the clips, and all you need to do is browse to the new folder and PD will update their locations. You will need to go through those steps each time you open a project for the first time on your laptop.

Thanks optodata but I tried your solutions and they are not acceptable.

First one demands changes which are problematic because of possible data integrity loss during hard drive repartitioning.
Second one demands a lot of searching. PD gives you allerts with the file name, but you cannot see its location. Imagine having a number of files with the same name in different subfolders...? Moreover, during this initial process, you are asked at least once every subfolder you have in your structure. It is a boring and error-prone process and you have to do it every time you switch computers.

I have found a better solution and it works fine by now.

In my case, the main problem is, that on a desktop I have projects on E drive Videos folder and my laptop has C drive only.
I used system "subst" command to associate E drive letter with C:\E-DRIVE folder. Then I created Videos folder inside it and put the project there.

It works like a charm.

I hope it works for others. _______________________________
regards, Tom
(PD365, Win10 Pro x64, Dell Precision T3500, Xeon W3670, 12GB, SSD)