Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Burning to a 2D Disc - Only 720x480 as an option
AJ T [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2018 17:29 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to burn high quality HD footage to a DVD. I select 2D Disc, Select DVD-Video but the only option for quality is HQ 720x480. Why isn't a higher quality option available? I'm looking to burn using the highest quality.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
That is the highest resolution for a standard dvd in the U.S. See this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video . Higher resolution disc use AVCHD and Blu-Ray.
AJ T [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2018 17:29 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks so burning to 720x480 is really the only option to play on a standard DVD player? Is there any others ways to increase the quality? saving as a certain file extension/codec before burning? Would that do anything?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 11. 2019 16:13

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It may be possible for you to burn an avchd disc to a dvd without a Blu-ray burner. You need to go to the internet and hunt down the UDF 2.60 drivers from Toshiba that may still be floating around the internet and install them. They were meant for the defunct HD DVD that went out of business.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
DVD-video discs are 720x480 max, period.
A DVD disc can contain anything as data, but a DVD-video disc is a different animal.
The other issue is we are all spoiled by ever-increasing display sizes and clarity. DVD is akin to etching images on a clay tablet.
What about thumbdrives, streaming? Does your DVD player support Divx or other filetypes?
EDIT: A good disc player or TV should be able to handle a little upscaling, better than software shenanigans. Look at your entertainment system settings.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at May 11. 2019 20:43

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT