Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 17 crashing opening large file
Count_Stenbock [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 26, 2019 18:39 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I recently bought Powerdirector 17. I created a couple of projects that saved fine and still open ok. However, I am working on a music video, and imported a load of high def video into the timeline - collage and split screen - selecting just a few seconds of each plus adding effects - and although it saved perfectly ok, when I tried to open it to continue editing, the program suddenly starts to freeze. It reaches 80% loading file - then I get the message 'not responding' or similar - and then Powerdirector just closes, offering me the option only of sending a crash report message.

The problem is just with this one file. I can see the file saved on my hard disc on documents. It does exist but Powerdirector can't or won't open it.

I have a very average Dell 64 bit laptop with 8 gb of RAM. Intel Core i5-7200u CPU @ 2.5ghz.

I am not running any other programs and I went into task manager to adjust settings so that Powerdirector has high priority. I tried googling to find solutions but found nothing useful. I quite urgently need to access this file because the song is due for imminent release!

Any help gratefully welcome,

Chris
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You might try opening PD and then in Pref > General, turn off "Enable shadow files..." , load your project and see what results that provides.

Jeff
Count_Stenbock [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 26, 2019 18:39 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You might try opening PD and then in Pref > General, turn off "Enable shadow files..." , load your project and see what results that provides.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the tip. I tried it but still have the same problem.

I took out monthly subscription for PD. I don't think I will be renewing! It keeps crashing - there is no useful help advice on the Cyberlink website - no real time online assistance - and they have not responded to my email requesting help.

I would have thought there would be a help section dedicated to solving program freezes / crashes. From an online search it does seem to be quite a recurrent problem with design packages like this.

Chris
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the tip. I tried it but still have the same problem.

I took out monthly subscription for PD. I don't think I will be renewing! It keeps crashing - there is no useful help advice on the Cyberlink website - no real time online assistance - and they have not responded to my email requesting help.

I would have thought there would be a help section dedicated to solving program freezes / crashes. From an online search it does seem to be quite a recurrent problem with design packages like this.

Chris

There are actually several pages in the Support section delaing with issues like this, here's one example. However, there are many possible reasons for this to happen so there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer.

In your case, try this:

1. Open a PD with a different project than the one giving you problems.

2. With PD open, try accessing the problem project from the File | Open Recent Projects list

3. If PD still cannot open the project, close it or kill it with Task Manager, reboot and follow step 1 again

4. This time see if PD's autosave feature is active from this Preferences page:

If it is, use Open Project... and navigate to the autosave folder that's currently listed, then see if you can open an earlier version of the troublesome project

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 27. 2019 19:28

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°