Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Magnify just a portion of a video
TeeD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 25, 2019 10:38 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
First time posting. I know how to crop and zoom, but I want to magnify just a portion of a video leaving its overall size the same. The only way I have been able to get close is using the Fish Eye effect and key frames for position, but it makes movement cumbersome and the options with the Fish Eye are limited. Warping is also a problem. What I really want is like a magnifying glass and can move with an object. The Magnify Fx is too abrupt at the edges even when I set the boarder thickness to 0. I want something less obvious. So, 2 Questions
1 is there a better Fx to use
2 Can I use Motion Tracker with the Fish Eye Fx
Many thanks in advance

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2019 11:24

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote First time posting. I know how to crop and zoom, but I want to magnify just a portion of a video leaving its overall size the same. The only way I have been able to get close is using the Fish Eye effect and key frames for position, but it makes movement cumbersome and the options with the Fish Eye are limited. Warping is also a problem. What I really want is like a magnifying glass and can move with an object. The Magnify Fx is too abrupt at the edges even when I set the boarder thickness to 0. I want something less obvious. So, 2 Questions
1 is there a better Fx to use
2 Can I use Motion Tracker with the Fish Eye Fx
Many thanks in advance

1) If you have NewBlue Essential Effect 4 installed their Magnifying Glass works well, as seen in this video:

However, any magnifier FX will by definition have a sharp border where the magnification starts.

2) No, you only have access to a small number of internal FX (Mosaic, Spotlight, Blur, Gaussian Blur)

You can use Lens Correction from the Fix/Enhance menu, but that is always centered on the frame.

The closest thing I can think of to do what you're looking for without a sharp edge is the NewBlue FishEye (from the same FX pack), as that will let you set a size and distortion that starts fairly gradually when the distortion isn't too high.

You'll still need to keyframe, but it's not very hard to simply set KFs at the starting and ending points and let PD do all the interpolation. Add another KF or two anytime there's a directional change, and use Ease-in/Ease-out to soften the visual impact.
TeeD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 25, 2019 10:38 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Great info thanks. Too bad motion tracker can't be use with most Fx, it seems like that would be a good enhancement.
I will definately use the ease in/ease out function with the Keyframes, excellent suggestion.
T

1) If you have NewBlue Essential Effect 4 installed their Magnifying Glass works well, as seen in this video:

However, any magnifier FX will by definition have a sharp border where the magnification starts.

2) No, you only have access to a small number of internal FX (Mosaic, Spotlight, Blur, Gaussian Blur)

You can use Lens Correction from the Fix/Enhance menu, but that is always centered on the frame.

The closest thing I can think of to do what you're looking for without a sharp edge is the NewBlue FishEye (from the same FX pack), as that will let you set a size and distortion that starts fairly gradually when the distortion isn't too high.

You'll still need to keyframe, but it's not very hard to simply set KFs at the starting and ending points and let PD do all the interpolation. Add another KF or two anytime there's a directional change, and use Ease-in/Ease-out to soften the visual impact.