Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to crop video to a different aspect ratio?
zephyra [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 06, 2019 15:01 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I am using PowerDirector 14 Ultra.

My 16:9 project contains a fullscreen video that I want to use keyframes to resize and move it, while cropping the sides down to a 1:1 square.

I cannot find any way to actually crop the video (simply zooming in is not cropping). I do not want to zoom the video at all, but just remove the edges. Is this possible to do with a setting I'm just missing somewhere?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I want to use keyframes to resize and move it, while cropping the sides down to a 1:1 square.

I do not want to zoom the video at all, but just remove the edges.

Open the clip in PiP Designer and use the Mask tab. You'll also need scroll down and uncheck the Maintain mask aspect ratio box under Object Settings to change the default rectangle to a square like this:

zephyra [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the reply.

How do I use keyframes with the mask, though? I do not want the mask at first, but want to transition into it...

Open the clip in PiP Designer and use the Mask tab. You'll also need scroll down and uncheck the Maintain mask aspect ratio box under Object Settings to change the default rectangle to a square like this:

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for the reply.

How do I use keyframes with the mask, though? I do not want the mask at first, but want to transition into it...

The keyframe panel is visible at the lower right.

I think it might help to get more familiar with how PD's many features work. There are many excellent tutorials by members of this forum available on YouTube, and there's also Cyberlink's Learning Center page. A search for keyframe tutorial here or at the Learning Center will show many options. 340 from the Learning Center to be exact
zephyra [Avatar]
[Post New]
I understand the keyframes and see the panel in the screenshot. But that doesn't allow me to keyframe the mask. I either have the mask or I don't... I do not see a way to gradually add that mask as time goes on. How do I use the panel you're showing to add keyframes to the mask?

I only see keyframes for the entire video's position, scale, etc.

The goal is to gradually move and resize the video, while also gradually changing from 16:9 to 1:1.

The keyframe panel is visible at the lower right.

I think it might help to get more familiar with how PD's many features work. There are many excellent tutorials by members of this forum available on YouTube, and there's also Cyberlink's Learning Center page. A search for keyframe tutorial here or at the Learning Center will show many options. 340 from the Learning Center to be exact

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2019 19:11

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Just read this post. See this screen capture in PD17 done by unchecking maintain aspect ratio and keyframing the mask. An upgrade may be in order.
 Filename
Moving mask.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
Mask designer uncheck AR keyframintg.
 Filesize
2599 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
203 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2019 19:53

zephyra [Avatar]
[Post New]
Odd. PD14 does not have that same behavior. I can do all kinds of modifications to the mask, but they're static and do not change regardless of the keyframes set.

I've attached a sample project (and its output video) to demonstrate. When I open the PiP Designer and add a mask, that is where I'm trying to "animate" the mask. I don't want the mask applied at all until the video starts moving and resizing.

I do not see how to do that at all in PD14. The screencast you posted looks promising, but it seems like such a basic feature to me that the upgrade cost for that alone just doesn't make sense to me right now.

Quote Just read this post. See this screen capture in PD17 done by unchecking maintain aspect ratio and keyframing the mask. An upgrade may be in order.
 Filename
Masking Issue.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Demo Video
 Filesize
1786 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
239 time(s)
 Filename
Masking Issue.pds
[Disk]
 Description
PD14 Project
 Filesize
793 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
209 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Here is what you can do. See the screen recording.

Found a bug in Screen Recorder 2 where capture of a Lock to App window did not work properly in recording the Mask Designer window earlier. It works if it is full screen. I was trying to make small files to save space to upload here.
 Filename
Masking Issue1.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
PiP and Mask Designer results.
 Filesize
1240 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
205 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
I think the required mask keyframe functionality didn't exist back in PD14. I just tried using keyframes and they only seemed to apply to the main clip, like you tried doing in the Masking Issues project.

If you want to do this in PD14, it's probably better to create a separate mask and chroma-key out the center. I've done that in this project which you can download from here and start working with.

This is what you should see:

The project is based on the one you attached, and I put in the two color boards and took a screenshot to create the custom mask. Your original keyframed kite surfing clip is on the right of the timeline, and I replaced it with an unchanged version since all the keyframes are on the mask clip.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 07. 2019 00:21

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°