Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Issues with PowerDirector 16 not loading sound
psx2k1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 25, 2014 00:58 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I am hoping I can have some assistance with a technical issue that has interfered with my editing.

I have a particular video file that power director can't read or load the audio portion of.

When I play this file, i can hear it just fine. However, as soon as I load it unto the timeline to begin editing, I can't hear anything. I went ahead and edited portions of it, to see if I simply can't hear the audio in the timeline, and it turns out that the clips it produces are without audio as well.

Please be aware that I have already ruled out all the obvious things, like checking the "audio" on the time that is on.

The unusual thing is that Power DIrector can load the audio of other files, but it does not recognize the audio on this file. I don't even see the wav readings.

I would really appreciate any ideas to solve this problem

Thank you
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
There are some video audio files that PD timeline struggles with, when that's the case it's usually easier to just convert the file. HandBrake works good or if PD can play the audio from the media library, sometimes it will then create a proper wav file with the right mouse click and extract audio. This audio can be used in lieu of the video audio.

I often find the conversion process is the better route to avoid lip synch issues.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
In addition to Jeff's suggestions, if you're comfortable sharing a short clip, you could upload it to OneDrive or Google Drive and paste the link here. That way other people could examine the details of the clip and try to figure out why PD has trouble with the audio.

Depending on the specifics, there might be an app or codec pack you can install that will let PD play the file without first converting it.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
psx2k1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 25, 2014 00:58 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There are some video audio files that PD timeline struggles with, when that's the case it's usually easier to just convert the file. HandBrake works good or if PD can play the audio from the media library, sometimes it will then create a proper wav file with the right mouse click and extract audio. This audio can be used in lieu of the video audio.

I often find the conversion process is the better route to avoid lip synch issues.

Jeff

I am extracting the audio as of now, but PD can't even load the audio from the media library.

What you suggest makes sense though, I will look into using HandBrake to convert the file and hopefully PD will be able to recognize the video under a different format.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I am extracting the audio as of now, but PD can't even load the audio from the media library.

What you suggest makes sense though, I will look into using HandBrake to convert the file and hopefully PD will be able to recognize the video under a different format.

That's odd as the extracted audio is just a WAV file if PD handled it correctly. Based on the troubles you're having with this video clip, I'd certainly try to convert with HandBrake to a create a more friendly PD editing version. Just keep the same video details as the original to maintain quality.

Jeff