Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Improving my config without buying a new machine?
Cyber-Rob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2018 14:47 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Hello guys,

Sometimes my PD16 works more or less fine and the next time I don't get out of the troubles anymore:
Mostly I'm cutting iPhone .movs, olympus movs and some pictures. When adding white balancing, colour adaptions and transitions, there are sometimes no issues at all and sometimes nothing is running in sync anymore.
The most annoying is that in these cases it can happen that either the preview "stumples" or even the audio suddenly makes any weird stuff: getting louder (without any keyframe at this position!), suddenly sounds like "reverbed" or "flangered" or with any other kind of audio fx....

I know that my dell laptop is pretty old but is there any easy way to pimp it without buying a complete new one?

Is there any older graphic card that could help me a bit?

For all my other edits: Audio, photos with Lightroom etc, I dont have any issues with my machine that's why I would like to avoid to throw it away and buy a new one...

It would really be appreciated if anyone could check my setup and could give me some hints

Best wishes,
Robin
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
98 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
219 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I know that my dell laptop is pretty old but is there any easy way to pimp it without buying a complete new one?
... It would really be appreciated if anyone could check my setup and could give me some hints

Best wishes,
Robin

Hi Robin. Well I have some good news! Although your system isn't going to set any speed records, I see several things you can do to improve your editing speed and stability. Here's a list, and my opinion is that you should do ALL of these steps:

1. Go to the Dell update page for your laptop. It looks like you have the latest BIOS installed, but there is a newer (and final) AMD driver for your 7670M.

2. I'm not sure how easy/difficult it might be to install non-Dell drivers for your Intel HD Graphics 4000 iGPU, but you can see if you can install v15.33.47.5059 from Sept 2018 (your current driver is from Oct 2015).

3. Update PD16 to v3424. You're still running v2816.

See if there are any noticeable improvements after installing the updates. You can also try switching between your AMD/Intel GPU, and checking/unchecking the HW acceleration options to see if you can find the best combination for previewing.

You may also want to consider using shadow files and lowering your preview resolution by a step or 2 to help with audio stuttering.

Let us know how this goes!
Cyber-Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi Robin. Well I have some good news! Although your system isn't going to set any speed records, I see several things you can do to improve your editing speed and stability. Here's a list, and my opinion is that you should do ALL of these steps:

1. Go to the Dell update page for your laptop. It looks like you have the latest BIOS installed, but there is a newer (and final) AMD driver for your 7670M.

2. I'm not sure how easy/difficult it might be to install non-Dell drivers for your Intel HD Graphics 4000 iGPU, but you can see if you can install v15.33.47.5059 from Sept 2018 (your current driver is from Oct 2015).

3. Update PD16 to v3424. You're still running v2816.

See if there are any noticeable improvements after installing the updates. You can also try switching between your AMD/Intel GPU, and checking/unchecking the HW acceleration options to see if you can find the best combination for previewing.

You may also want to consider using shadow files and lowering your preview resolution by a step or 2 to help with audio stuttering.

Let us know how this goes!

Hi optodata,

thank you very much for you assistance!

I will try it out tomorrow....too tired now for computer stuff... wink

But one note: my PD version should be 3424, see the pic in the attachment.

How comes the mismatch in the signature of dxdiag...it was created after the update...?

Sure, I will let you know tomorrow!

Have a nice evening / day... wink

Robin
[Thumb - version.PNG]
 Filename
version.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
54 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 19. 2019 15:04

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote But one note: my PD version should be 3424, see the pic in the attachment.

How comes the mismatch in the signature of dxdiag...it was created after the update...?

The DxDiag results show the last 10 serious crashes that Windows recorded, but they don't show any dates so I don't know how long ago that crash happened. Since it was logged as v2816, it must have happened before you updated PD16.

So that's one less thing to fix
Cyber-Rob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello optodata,

I just updated the drivers now and perhaps the Intel update slightly improved the situation.

But I think I have to face the fact, that my RAM upgrade and the new SSD last year did not completely speed up my system as I hoped..

I mean, if in general, I would at first concentrate on the cuts and later add the transitions, white balancing and fx and just dont care about the stutering system, I could perhaps live with it...more or less..

PD would help me, if there was an overall switch which activates and deactivates all transistions and all adjustments in the pics and videos...but there is nothing like that, right?

But a big thanks to you my dear!

Best wishes,
Rob
optodata
[Post New]
Quote But I think I have to face the fact, that my RAM upgrade and the new SSD last year did not completely speed up my system as I hoped..

PD needs more CPU power, and GPU encoding also helps. Your system now boots and programs load much faster with an SSD, and it's more stable and quicker with more RAM. Your improvements certainly did make a difference, just not directly for PD.

Quote I mean, if in general, I would at first concentrate on the cuts and later add the transitions, white balancing and fx and just dont care about the stutering system, I could perhaps live with it...more or less..

PD would help me, if there was an overall switch which activates and deactivates all transistions and all adjustments in the pics and videos...but there is nothing like that, right?

That would be a nice option, to temporarily disable all corrections, etc. when needed. I'm doing a big project with lots of videos that need masking, color correction, lighting adjustments and cropping, and PD was getting bogged down with all of the corrections.

I've found that the best workflow is actually to take the raw clips from my main camera and process them all up front to take care of all of those adjustments. Even though I may only use a few minutes from each 10 minute clip in my finished video, the advantage is that I can make all of the corrections at once, and then let PD run overnight in batch produce mode to give me "perfect" raw clips.

I can then start working on the main project and not have to worry about anything other than putting that video together. The new approach has saved me a lot of extra work and a whole lot of frustration!