Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Zoom and Crop then Split....
Audioguy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2019 19:13 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I've been editing a theatre show with two cameras. The main camera has the sound so I started by going through the 24 minute shot with Crop and Zoom Power tool. This is to zoom in on the action at times and pan to the wings when the action moved there. The idea was to then cut to the video from the second camera at times. I used crop and zoom on the second camera to pick out bits of the show and it was only when I went to start splitting the second camera shot that I realised the Crop and Zoom information is trashed when a shot is split. I had to give up the original crop and zoom on the second camera and crop and zoom each of the individual shots one at a time.

I then realised I needed to chop a few seconds out of both cameras at one point to remove a long pause, carried on editing and then realised that I had trashed the Crop and Zoom information for the main camera as well.

It seems that when a Crop and Zoomed clip is split the Crop and Zoom information is copied into the two clips but speeded up to the new shorter length of each clip. I cant imagine why this is thought a good idea. Surely the Crop and Zoom information could also be split so that each side of the split just gets the appropriate part of the Crop and Zoom information?

Have I missed a trick or should I never be able to edit a Crop and Zoomed clip?
Audioguy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just had a thought and downloaded the free version of Powerdirector 17 for 7 days. Tried the Crop and Zoom and then Split on the skateboarder clip and its still broken. Possibly worse - after the split the Crop and Zoom copied into the two parts of the clip take the picture off the image leaving black in view. Not sure what has happened to the Crop and Zoom data.

Since I'm going to be doing more high resolution two camera work and then using the resolution to Pan and Zoom with Crop and Zoom this is a bit of a show stopper for me. It's far easier and gives a better flow to Crop and Zoom the whole shot and then cut between cameras.

The only way out I can think of is to render each camera after Crop and Zoom but that takes me about the length of the shot to render and I do worry that if I do further effects work I will get aliasing or reduction in quality?

Any thoughts.

Thanks
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
I do not know if I understood your problem correctly.
If you could post here only the project with the Video Skateboard is part of the PD, we could check and maybe have an opinion or suggestion. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
Audioguy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I do not know if I understood your problem correctly.
If you could post here only the project with the Video Skateboard is part of the PD, we could check and maybe have an opinion or suggestion.

I have attached the skateboarder clip with a Crop and Zoom applied in a Powerdirector 16 file. The crop zooms in on a section of the image away from the skateboarder and then pans quickly across.

After you have watched the clip click around 9 seconds (happens anywhere) and Split the Clip. If you watch again you get the Crop and Zoom copied into both sides of the split. First you get a zoom and pan in the first section , then you get another zoom and pan in the second section.

It would be really useful if the path of the Crop and Zoom was split appropriately between the two new shots after the split.

Dave
 Filename
crop split test.pds
[Disk]
 Description
Test to show Crop and Zoom after split
 Filesize
298 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
136 time(s)
Audioguy [Avatar]
[Post New]

I have attached the skateboarder clip with a Crop and Zoom applied in a Powerdirector 16 file. The crop zooms in on a section of the image away from the skateboarder and then pans quickly across.

Sorry, that was a Powerdirector 17 file. Attached is a Powerdirector 16 file.

After you have watched the clip click around 9 seconds (happens anywhere) and Split the Clip. If you watch again you get the Crop and Zoom copied into both sides of the split. First you get a zoom and pan in the first section , then you get another zoom and pan in the second section.

It would be really useful if the path of the Crop and Zoom was split appropriately between the two new shots after the split.
 Filename
16 Crop Split Test.pds
[Disk]
 Description
Test to show Crop and Zoom after split
 Filesize
481 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
125 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Do the crop/zoom/pan on the first 24 min. clip and then produce it. You can then use this this one with multicam or do a sync by audio with the second clip in which you will leave contents for the closeups only. This is what I used before muliticam became available.