Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Overwhelmed and Confused
poordom [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 01, 2016 23:25 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Good afternoon All,

Let me first apologize for my ignorance, I love PowerDirector, from what I can understand of it.

I would like to have a path I could follow to get me started on the right foot.

I have PowerDirector 14, I have read Capture Section at least 10 times, and still don't understand, I suffer from ADD, but still.

I have a Sony DCR-TRV 103 camcorder, which is connected to my Window 7 computer via the iLink. I try and capture video by selecting the Camcorder Icon, but then I can't select the Automatic Batch capture, I seem to end up in video back-up.

If someone could be kind enough to set me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Dom
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
poordom:

Welcome to the Cyberlink Forums. I too am still using PD14, though I started using PD with Version 9. I never had much success with the PD "Capture" function when trying to capture VHS or Hi8 video.

Instead, I use another product and converter to download my VHS and Hi8 video as .mpeg2 files, which I then import into the version of PD that I am using for editing and burning.

Because the product and "dongle" includes rudimentary video editing capabilities, it is a "competing" product and therefore I am not permitted to name it here in the Cyberlink Forums, by virtue of the Forum rules here.

If you wish, you can send me a private message and I will pass on the details of what I have been using very successfully now for years.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
welcome to the forum.
Quote ... I have a Sony DCR-TRV 103 camcorder, which is connected to my Window 7 computer via the iLink. I try and capture video by selecting the Camcorder Icon, but then I can't select the Automatic Batch capture, I seem to end up in video back-up. ...

even though yours is early model of Digital camcorder, camcorder recording media is metallic tape. you're doing it correctly by capturing the video from the camcorder; however, the Automatic Batch Capture isn't available.
you must capture the whole tape!

also before disconnecting the iLink cable YOU MUST TURN OFF the camcorder(1st) and or PC(2nd).

if you don't follow these steps then possibility of shorting out the firewire port 1394 on the camcorder(iLink) and or PC will be extremely high.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 30. 2018 14:09

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
poordom [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote poordom:

Welcome to the Cyberlink Forums. I too am still using PD14, though I started using PD with Version 9. I never had much success with the PD "Capture" function when trying to capture VHS or Hi8 video.

Instead, I use another product and converter to download my VHS and Hi8 video as .mpeg2 files, which I then import into the version of PD that I am using for editing and burning.

Because the product and "dongle" includes rudimentary video editing capabilities, it is a "competing" product and therefore I am not permitted to name it here in the Cyberlink Forums, by virtue of the Forum rules here.

If you wish, you can send me a private message and I will pass on the details of what I have been using very successfully now for years.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Good evening Phil,

I have also used a different program for capturing video, but it annoys me having to do so, I am trying very hard to use PD 14 to its maximum, but not very easy.

Thanks Phil, I appreciate your response.
poordom [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote welcome to the forum.

even though yours is early model of Digital camcorder, camcorder recording media is metallic tape. you're doing it correctly by capturing the video from the camcorder; however, the Automatic Batch Capture isn't available.
you must capture the whole tape!

also before disconnecting the iLink cable YOU MUST TURN OFF the camcorder(1st) and or PC(2nd).

if you don't follow these steps then possibility of shorting out the firewire port 1394 on the camcorder(iLink) and or PC will be extremely high.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Good evening Pepsi Man,

You mention ( Automatic Batch Capture isn't available ), is it that function not available in the program, period, or is it my setup that doesn't allow me to use that function.

Thank You

Dom
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... is it that function not available in the program, period, or is it my setup that doesn't allow me to use that function. ...

because of your Sony DCR-TRV 103 camcorder which uses the metallic tape as recording medium, you MUST capture only the parts you want and or whole tape using the camcorder's vcr function manually!

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in grabage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 30. 2018 23:01

'no bridge too far'

Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
PepsiMan
[Post New]
i say it again, before disconnecting the iLink cable YOU MUST TURN OFF the camcorder(1st) and or PC(2nd).
if you don't follow these steps then possibility of shorting out the firewire port 1394 on the camcorder(iLink) and or PC is extremely high.

once the iLink DV i/o is burned then only way to transfer is through analog s-video and or audio/video cables.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan
'garbage in grabage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 30. 2018 23:02

'no bridge too far'

Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1