CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Photo Adjustment and Edit Suggestions
Reply to this topic
[Post New]
I am a relatively new user of PhotoDirector 9 but certainly not a novice and I am a aspiring wildlife and bird photographer.
I have come accross some images/photos in a group that I subscribe to that have great appeal for me and I am flummoxed as to how this effect is achieved. I am assuming the photographer, Meggan Combe, uses PhotoShop but I am hopeful that PhotoDirector 9 can achieve similar results.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Here is a link to an example image which I also attach (unfortunately I do not know how to insert it into the post.
<a>https://photos.app.goo.gl/6UWtjr3KMeC4JTDe7</a>
 Filename
47223799_10155518698921841_5604336768229834752_n.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Giraffe image
 Filesize
18 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
13 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 11. 2018 04:51

[Post New]
Hello Reand,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing

I left a message on Meggan Combe's Facebook page enquiring about her technique. As yet, I've heard nothing back.

The most obvious approach I could think of is to:

1. apply a selection mask to the foreground subject,

2. invert it so it includes everything but the subject, then

3. make the adjustments needed to the masked area

Something like the example below:

Great care needs to be taken with creating the mask, as both the brush & eraser can be "touchy". As you can see, I didn't spend too long on that stage to create this example.

A photo with strong contrast between the subject & background is much easier to get you a satisfactory result.

PIX PhD CDR ADR DZ MVL PP Forum Moderator
PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Thank you PIX laughing
I too had initially tried to contact Meggan Combe via Facebook as I felt this was the right thing to do but also have received no reply, hence my post here.
I appreciate all your effort and also the screenshots and advice on isolating the subject with a selection mask in the regional adjustment tools, which seems like a good option and I have also experimented with isolating it in a layer or various layers.
In Meggan's work her subject has a washed out watercolour appearance and this is particularly appealing to me as in the example image below. I will play around and experiment further to see if I can refine this technique but any further thoughts would be welcome but once again, thank you for all your effort.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2018 18:12

[Post New]
Hi,

Not so sure if below video can help to achieve what you asked.

I used "layer editing" to add a white mask on photo and then apply gradient effect on the mask to simulate the effect.

Maybe you have better idea.

Just want to share what I know.

Hope it can help.
 Filename
ScreenRecord_20181220105241.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
apply mask with gradient
 Filesize
16412 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
69 time(s)
hijack is illegal.
Don't do it without guided.
[Post New]
Hi hijack
Thank you!
This certainly is a technique that I had not considered or seen before but it is a very interesting and effective approach and I really like the end result. I will certainly try this on some of my images.
The photographer whose editing style I have admired has advised me that she uses the radial filter tool and often inverts it in order to achieve these effects. She did not go into much more detail but I have been experimenting with this and I will post some before and after images of this soon.
There is an interesting tutorial on this effect online using Lightroom and it seems to apply also to PhotoDirector, the link is:
https://digital-photography-school.com/lightrooms-radial-filter-how-to/?fbclid=IwAR3TCmZsUhMSwJ7_iw6xBnyH0ezEraobFML0tgPbFxef3HyLBq3lgpPd89I
Thank you for all your effort, the video and your reply.
Reand
[Post New]
Excellent work hijack!

It achieves something much closer to what Reand is after than my earlier suggestion.

Reand, I'm pleased you're making good progress with achieving the effect you're after.

PIX PhD CDR ADR DZ MVL PP Forum Moderator
PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Hi Reand,

Thank you for share me a new way to achieve that technique.

I just done a quick try with PhotoDirector & the result seems perfect for me.

Good share~

Hi PIX,

Thanks~

What we try to do is to share. (especially in the Xmas season)

That is nice to know people are happy with that.
 Filename
ScreenRecord_20181221145907.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
7589 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
72 time(s)
hijack is illegal.
Don't do it without guided.
[Post New]
Well done hijack, that is exactly the result I was looking for 😄.
Using the radial filter like this is such a smart tool and I have found the online tutorial at Digital Photography School very helpful.
Have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year and I hope that 2019 is full of beautiful pictures!
Reply to this topic