Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What is better for video output on the Intel HD graphic driver is the RGB or the YCbCr?
[Post New]
What is better for video output on the Intel HD graphic driver is the RGB or the YCbCr? i3 7100T + AsRock Z270 ITX + Pioneer BDR-211UBK
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
If your video is encoded with YCbCr 4:4:4 (no chroma subsampling), I think there is no playback differences no matter you configure the display color space in RGB or YCbCr.

However, most of videos are encoded with subsampled YUV(YCbCr), but not RGB for bandwidth and processing optimization.

I haven't found a setting for Intel GPU to set the display color space in RGB or YCbCr. I think they all rely on automatic switching by GPU or OS control.

Because Windows uses RGB (but not YCbCr form) to define UI colors, if your GPU settings support the manual color space adjustment, perhaps YCbCr is better (I guess) for those YUV video playback only if the Windows OS does not convert the video signal on system side before transferring the video data to GPU (to render and display the video on display device).

The display procsssing detail is a black box.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on those detail.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 07. 2018 03:42