Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Big project file (pds) and a short movie (25") because of thumbnails.
Roland vl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2017 03:44 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
Hello

I have here a "big" PowerDirector project file of 22032 KB. On the timeline is an image sequence (each frame a png-file). It produces a animation file of 25" (seconds). Because there are 1250 images in the sequence, the loading of it is slow and often PD crashed (PD not responding).
I think one of the reasons is because of the thumbnails. PD needs to load 1250 thumbnails. In this case, thumbnails are totally useless for me.
Is it possible to load the project without thumbnails?
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello

I have here a "big" PowerDirector project file of 22032 KB. On the timeline is an image sequence (each frame a png-file). It produces a animation file of 25" (seconds). Because there are 1250 images in the sequence, the loading of it is slow and often PD crashed (PD not responding).
I think one of the reasons is because of the thumbnails. PD needs to load 1250 thumbnails. In this case, thumbnails are totally useless for me.
Is it possible to load the project without thumbnails?

Sorry if I do not understand right.After adding files to the timeline.It can remove them in the media room without problems, the timeline is still perfect after reopening the project.
But it has already happened that the reopening of the project has restored the media room. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
Roland vl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2017 03:44 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]

Sorry if I do not understand right.After adding files to the timeline.It can remove them in the media room without problems, the timeline is still perfect after reopening the project.
But it has already happened that the reopening of the project has restored the media room.

Even of I remove the image files from the Media room, there are still thumbnails visible on the timeline and the PDS-file is big. Thumbnails on the timeline is useless: only 1 frame for each image.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Even of I remove the image files from the Media room, there are still thumbnails visible on the timeline and the PDS-file is big. Thumbnails on the timeline is useless: only 1 frame for each image.

I understand what you're saying. I am working on a very short project that has 1 title per frame (rather than a different image for each frame), so my 5 second 60p timeline has 300 titles and the PDS file is almost 5MB, so your project containing 4x as many images being 4x bigger seems to be in line with that.

I don't know why PD has to store all of the thumbnail data in the PDS file, but if you open it with any XML text editor you'll see that the vast majority of the contents looks like gibberish (but obviously it's the thumbnail data in text form). Maybe other members are aware of a setting or or a direct edit of the PDS file to remove that data - even temporarily so PD can load - but the best advice I can give you is to break your project up into much smaller chunks, like 5 seconds at a time.

You can then create a new, empty "master" project and then use Insert Project to add each of the sub-projects so they are nested. That approach may let PD load more smoothly but it will likely still take a long time. If it works it will give you access to all clips on their individual timelines from within your master project.

If PD still has trouble loading, another approach would be to produce each of the 5 second mini projects so you're only dealing with 5 simple video clips in your main project.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°