Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is Video Image Stabilization Just A Slight Image Zoom?
Iggypop [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Chicago Joined: Oct 17, 2015 06:55 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I had some footage I was trying to stablize. When applying the fix I noticed that in fact it appears to just change the depth of the footage. So I lost more around the edges that was a critical part of the shot as I increased the amount of stabilization applied.

In ohter words when you zoom in slightly to the disatnce it is expected that footage would appear more stable. Is that in fact only what the tool does? I know sabilization is a hard problem even in the slightest bit but my cannon camera live sabilization appears to use a more sophisticated approach. Am I missing something or using the tool incorrectly? Is this something that is a work in progress?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2018 22:00

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
One method and I think what PD does is stabilize video by analyzing the camera motion in the video and then moving the picture the opposite way to steady it. In this process, you get a zoom in on the picture to maintain framesize without black fringes on the edges. The amount of unstable motion in the clip that the frame needs to move determines how much zooming is necessary.

I believe this is the effect you notice, but no, the zooming is not the stabilization, it's more of a necessary outcome of the approach.

Jeff
Iggypop [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Chicago Joined: Oct 17, 2015 06:55 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote One method and I think what PD does is stabilize video by analyzing the camera motion in the video and then moving the picture the opposite way to steady it. In this process, you get a zoom in on the picture to maintain framesize without black fringes on the edges. The amount of unstable motion in the clip that the frame needs to move determines how much zooming is necessary.

I believe this is the effect you notice, but no, the zooming is not the stabilization, it's more of a necessary outcome of the approach.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

I now have a better understanding of the problem.
Peter Podder
Member Location: Long Island, N.Y. Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:13 Messages: 116 Offline
[Post New]
Quote One method and I think what PD does is stabilize video by analyzing the camera motion in the video and then moving the picture the opposite way to steady it. In this process, you get a zoom in on the picture to maintain framesize without black fringes on the edges. The amount of unstable motion in the clip that the frame needs to move determines how much zooming is necessary.

Jeff

Great explanation. I wondered as well as to why the zoom. Thanks. ____________________________________

Dell Precision M4700 i7-3840QM 2.80 GHz
16gb ram , NVIDIA Quadro K2000M GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 1tb SSD , 500 gb HDD ,