Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem with adjusting duration of PiP objects with movement
MrManuzz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 22, 2018 17:20 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Hope somebody can help me with the following. Assume I create a PiP object with an image of a ball moving from the outer left to the outer right of the screen. I want this movement to last only 1 second. To create this, I have a png file of a ball which I use when adding a custom PiP. Opening the PiP editor it creates a 'clip' of 10 seconds. I can't find where I can tell that I only want a clip of 1 second. It seems I can't change the duration at all. But never mind(?). I just create the movement from left to right in the full 10 seconds. So I save my PiP object and I drag it from the library where I saved the PiP object to one of the video tracks. All of a sudden the clip shows as 3 seconds.
On the video track I can select the clip and click on 'duration' to adjust the time and shorten it to 1 second. The clip will indeed shorten to 1 second, but when playing the clip the movement of the ball stops at 33%. So changing the duration won't scale back the complete clip and the complete movement, it just cuts the clip in time and displays only 1/3 of the original clip (where I would have expected it to accelarete all timings / keyframes by a factor 3).
I've tried in different ways to create a PiP of 1 second (I have found a way to do this) but when saving the PiP object, the time gets streched, and when I drag it to the video track it always results in a clip of 3 seconds. Whatever I try to shorten the clip to 1 second it always results in loss of the complete path / movement of my moving ball.

Is this a bug or am I doing this wrong? In the end I want to be able to control the lenght of the clip while the ball will alsways fly in from outer left and exit the screen on the far right.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
The duration of the PiP object is determined by the time between keyframes. That is,

keyframe 1 (left position)
keyframe 2 ((right position) set at 1 second after the first.

This will send your object from left to right, duration 1 second.

Duration on the timeline determines the length of time the object stays on the screen. So if this is 10 seconds, that's how long the PiP object will show up.

Hope this is clear.

Regards

Phil
MrManuzz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Phil,

Thanks for that. Yes I would expect it to work tht way, but as said, in practice it doesn't. Have you tried yourself, because if it works for you then I'm obviously doing something wrong. If that's the case I'll make a screen recording so maybe then you can tell me what it is I'm doing wrong.
So did you try to create a moving object going from left to right in 1 second, save that as a PiP object and then reuse it by dragging it onto the timeline and still see a clip of 1 second exactly how you created it?

thx!
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Yes, all worked exactly as expected for me. Including saving the PiP object.

For full disclosure, I'm using PD17 but I don't think that will make a difference.

Regards

Phil
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

Yes, all worked exactly as expected for me. Including saving the PiP object.

For full disclosure, I'm using PD17 but I don't think that will make a difference.

Regards

Phil

What you could try is: Highlight the 10 second PIP and then "produce range". Then, with the produced version in the timeline use Power Tools to reduce the speed to one second.

I just tried something similar and it worked

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
MrManuzz [Avatar]
[Post New]
The more people tell it works for them, the more stupid I feel wink

I hope you can see my example video in this post, so you see what it is I am doing (wrong?).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2018 17:48

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The more people tell it works for them, the more stupid I feel wink

I hope you can see my example video in this post, so you see what it is I am doing (wrong?).

Try this. Put your png on the timeline. Set the duration to one second. Double click to open pip designer. Now use the whole screen and pip timeline to pass the ball. You have been using a 10 second screen, but only using one second of it. By setting the duration first, you set the length of the pip
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi MrManuzz - (this is what The Shadowman just said, in different words)

If you want a ball to roll across the screen for 1 second, avoid making it a template first. Templates are, by default, 5 seconds... so if you create a template with motion then drop it in the timeline & set the duration to 1 second... the last keyframes will be removed (PDR doesn't compress them into a shorter time frame).

You should:

1. import the ball.png and drop it in the timeline

2. set the duration to 1 second

3. open it in PiP Designer and set the motion

4. click OK

... like in the attached packed project

Have a look at these templates - Ball Roll_1 & Ball Roll_5

Ball Roll_1 was set to complete its motion, the rest for 4 seconds. Ball Roll_5 was set to complete its motion in 5 seconds.

Set you image preferences to 5 seconds & drop each template in the timeline. See what happens (what you'd expect). Now change Ball Roll_5's duration to 1 second... the set motion is cut off.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Ball Roll 1 sec.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
90 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
297 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2018 20:14

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Your example video shows that you were setting the keyframes correctly.

It also shows that your image preferences are set to 3 seconds (in Preferences > Edit > Image) & that's why the motion isn't able to complete.

Don't feel stupid. It's not you. It's quite inconsistent behaviour if you compare it to magic motion & title designer.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
DOH!

The project I attached previously was done in PDR17. It's repeated in PDR15, so it will open in your PDR16.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Ball Roll 1.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
88 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
294 time(s)

MrManuzz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi all,

Thanks for helping me out.
Ynotfish, I think it was key for me to understand that the default image preference is in some way influencing how the PiP object behaves when it is set longer than the PiP object itself.

Because -Shadowman- as you suggested, when I started to explore the PiP possibilities I started to drag a picture on the timeline, openend the PiP designer and started to try to make something nice. I believe I started this way by looking at an example on Youtube but as explainend in my first post it didn't work out for me because changing the duration afterwards has this strange effect that the PiP timing gets lost.

I just set my default to one second and created the effect starting by dragging the image to the timeline and then launch the PiP designer. I have that working now
Indeed it feels as inconsistent behaviour if you compare it to magic motion & title designer and everything else you can do in PDR. I have been using PDR for many years now and this is the first time I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

Btw the reason that I'd like to use templates is that I am creating my own transistion effect which I am going to use in video's I create for a soccer team. Whenever I have to switch from 'normal video' to a replay in slowmotion after a goal is scored, I want this ball to roll in from the side to the center of the screen, then it zooms / scales to fill the whole screen, then I switch from normal video to the replay on the main video track and then the ball zooms / scales to very small and dissapears with a fade out. All this in not more that 2 to 2,5 seconds. It is quite nice but as you can read a bit of work to set it all up. If I can't use templates for this it will take too long for me to produce such videos.

So a happy man on this side. Again thank you all for your help and suggestions. Really appriciate it!

Ps.
I will have a look at the templates after I post this message.
MrManuzz [Avatar]
[Post New]
"Set you image preferences to 5 seconds & drop each template in the timeline. See what happens (what you'd expect). Now change Ball Roll_5's duration to 1 second... the set motion is cut off. "

I must admit you've got beautifull balls Ynotfish!

Yes I do see your point and indeed this exactly demonstrates the odd behaviour compared to all the other features (except for trimming and cutting video's).

After playing a bit with the templates, I see one more thing which I wouldn't have expected;
Take whatever PiP template with a moving object and drag it to the timeline. Change your image duration preference and then drag the same PiP template to the timeline once more and place it after the first one. You'll notice that although the templates are exactly the same the clips on the timeline will have different duration. But now all of a sudden speed is adjusted in a way that the movement is not cut off and nicely finishes as it should! undecided

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2018 18:54