Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Title page is not showing as first image after .avi is created.
LizD [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 31, 2018 15:15 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
HI, please help. I am trying to create a product demo video. I love this program so far. I have finished my video and produced a .avi file. The first frame of the video is a picture of the product with contact details, when I run the .avi it is perfect, however, when I view the .avi file on my desktop the image displayed is the first video clip and not the picture with text that i need.. I a sure there is some setting I am missing. Thanks in advance. I am using PowerDirector 16 on a PC Windows 10.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote HI, please help. I am trying to create a product demo video. I love this program so far. I have finished my video and produced a .avi file. The first frame of the video is a picture of the product with contact details, when I run the .avi it is perfect, however, when I view the .avi file on my desktop the image displayed is the first video clip and not the picture with text that i need.. I a sure there is some setting I am missing. Thanks in advance. I am using PowerDirector 16 on a PC Windows 10.

You say "when I run the .avi it is perfect". What are you running it on?

Robert
LizD [Avatar]
[Post New]

You say "when I run the .avi it is perfect". What are you running it on?

Robert

pn a pc, windows 10. When i say run I mean double click. The .avi itself is fine. The problem is how it displays on windows in the file directory, have selected large icons.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

pn a pc, windows 10. When i say run I mean double click. The .avi itself is fine. The problem is how it displays on windows in the file directory, have selected large icons.

So it's nothing to do with PowerDiredtor????

Is this what you mean: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/64234-change-folder-picture-windows-10-a.html

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 05. 2018 13:12

LizD [Avatar]
[Post New]

So it's nothing to do with PowerDiredtor????

Is this what you mean: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/64234-change-folder-picture-windows-10-a.html

Not sure, it is not a folder picture I want to change, it is the picture of the .avi file I have just created. Will give it a go.
LizD [Avatar]
[Post New]

Not sure, it is not a folder picture I want to change, it is the picture of the .avi file I have just created. Will give it a go.

Thank you for your help, this didn't work. I know its a strange one. The icon of the .avi file that I have created, displays the image of the first video section and not the first image on the timeline of the video I have created. Is there some setting I am missing.
The Shadowman
[Post New]

Thank you for your help, this didn't work. I know its a strange one. The icon of the .avi file that I have created, displays the image of the first video section and not the first image on the timeline of the video I have created. Is there some setting I am missing.

Liz

The only way we are going to get anywhere with this is if you post a screenshot of the faulty image. Then at least we will be able to see what you are trying to do.
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Do you perhaps mean that the icon that is displayed on say your desktop as a representation for the .avi file is what you want to change?

EDIT - DELETED AS THIS INFO WAS COMPLETELY WRONG.

It's a Windows settings thing and I suspect that you won't find an easy answer. There are some applications out there that you can install which will allow you to change the thumbnail displayed in the icon but I shy away from installing apps which are not well known.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 05. 2018 15:28

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Using Win 7 explorer the thumbnail shown is 8 seconds in the video for dv-avi and it is 3 seconds for sample clip KiteSurfing.wmv. In no case is the first frame displayed even with mpg files. See this post: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-pictures-notapp/how-to-change-the-thumbnail-preview-of-an-mp4-file/a1aea239-d640-4833-87a2-08299e7d09c5?auth=1 . The display of the thumbnail of the same file is different for win 7 and win 8. There are some utilities in the article that allow you to change the thumbnail display for mp4 files on your pc. It may not work if you give the file to someone else that does not have the same utilities on their pc.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Longedge - what a guy - not only admits his error but does it IN ALL CAPS! laughing

Hi LizD -

Longedge & tomasc are onto it. The thumbnail generated in PDR's media library is not the same as the one generated in Windows. If you look at the attached screenshot, you'll see:

1. the thumbnail generated in PDR

2. the thumbnail displayed in Windows

3. the thumbnail I wanted to apply (& now have using the method below)

There are applications that can change the thumbnail to whatever you wish, just as you can do on YouTube videos.

My go to app for this is iTunes. It's easy to do & it sticks. Here's how to do it in iTunes...

By the way, how did you create an .avi file in PDR16???

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Thumbnails.png]
 Filename
Thumbnails.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
830 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
LizD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Longedge - what a guy - not only admits his error but does it IN ALL CAPS! laughing

Hi LizD -

Longedge & tomasc are onto it. The thumbnail generated in PDR's media library is not the same as the one generated in Windows. If you look at the attached screenshot, you'll see:

There are applications that can change the thumbnail to whatever you wish, just as you can do on YouTube videos.

My go to app for this is iTunes. It's easy to do & it sticks. Here's how to do it in iTunes...

Cheers - Tony

Thank you to everyone for all your help. Its late here, will give it a go tomorrow.
LizD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Do you perhaps mean that the icon that is displayed on say your desktop as a representation for the .avi file is what you want to change?

EDIT - DELETED AS THIS INFO WAS COMPLETELY WRONG.

It's a Windows settings thing and I suspect that you won't find an easy answer. There are some applications out there that you can install which will allow you to change the thumbnail displayed in the icon but I shy away from installing apps which are not well known.

Thank you for your help. I will investigate the apps tomorrow.
LizD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Longedge - what a guy - not only admits his error but does it IN ALL CAPS! laughing

Hi LizD -

Cheers - Tony

Thank you for all your help, I will look into this tomorrow, I had almost given up on this, there is still hope.
LizD [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thank you to everyone for all your help. Its late here, will give it a go tomorrow.

Hi, I created my video as normal, select produce, select ..avi. and start.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Liz -

I guess my question about .avi was a pretty silly one.

AVIs won't import into iTunes - nor will quite a few other PDR production options. If you'd like to use iTunes to change your thumbnails, you'll need to produce to a compatible format.

H.264 AVC > MP4 or XAVCS > MP4 will be fine.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
LizD [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Using Win 7 explorer the thumbnail shown is 8 seconds in the video for dv-avi and it is 3 seconds for sample clip KiteSurfing.wmv. In no case is the first frame displayed even with mpg files. See this post: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-pictures-notapp/how-to-change-the-thumbnail-preview-of-an-mp4-file/a1aea239-d640-4833-87a2-08299e7d09c5?auth=1 . The display of the thumbnail of the same file is different for win 7 and win 8. There are some utilities in the article that allow you to change the thumbnail display for mp4 files on your pc. It may not work if you give the file to someone else that does not have the same utilities on their pc.

Thank you, that is relevant as I will be handing the file off to someone else.