Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"Combine" menu option always grayed out
Jim Garrison [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 03, 2008 14:22 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have two video clips from a DSLR (Canon 5D3). The camera has a file size limitation of 2GB so if the video exceeds that size it creates a second file.

I placed the two sections together on the timeline and want to merge them into a single clip so I can attach audio that was recorded separately.

I select both clips, then right-click and see a "Combine" option, but it is grayed out.

Online I found a suggestion that I need to Ctrl-Click each clip, but doing that does nothing different, the Combine optoin is still grayed out.

What do I need to do to be able to combine the two clips?
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
If I understand correctly, you simply want to create a single continuos video using the the two clips one after the other.

Just drop them both onto one timeline and then go to "Produce". Complete the selections there and PDR will then create a new video file to your specs which, when completed, will be automatically placed in the media room along with the two originals.
Jim Garrison [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 03, 2008 14:22 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If I understand correctly, you simply want to create a single continuos video using the the two clips one after the other.

Just drop them both onto one timeline and then go to "Produce". Complete the selections there and PDR will then create a new video file to your specs which, when completed, will be automatically placed in the media room along with the two originals.

That's awfully heavy weight. What I'm looking for is the reverse of the "split" function. There's a "Combine" entry in the context menu right next to "Split", but it is always grayed out. I've found references online that indicate this should be usable, but it's never active in the context menu.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 14. 2018 12:10

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It does not matter what is on your timeline. As Longedge stated all the clips butted end to end on the timeline will be produced as one continuous file with no breaks.

Try this: Split one of the clips. Highlight both splits and Right mouse click/ Combine clip is active for you to combine them. It only works on clips that you split. There is no need to combine any clips at all if you do what Longedge explained. You can add separate audio to any clip on another track and it will be continuous across all the other clips after you use the sync by audio function or you can sync it manually.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 14. 2018 12:43

Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
It isn't the reverse of split. You can split a single file into parts bit in PDR combining two files into a single one requires rendering.

Under certain situations you can combine some video files in the way you wish using the cli copy command but in my experience it doesn't work with videos that are in containers such as mp4's. There are some apps that will concatenate files.

Personally I'd do it all in PDR.
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
It has already been explained that Combine only serves to undo a division made in a video clip.

To join the 2 or more files I use SVRT if possible, so create a file like all videos together, without loss of time and quality, keeping the same pattern as the original video.

I usually do 1st audio sync with the video, in each separate file, before attaching the video clips. XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365