Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"Copyright material" error while capturing analogue home movies
Jeremy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 17, 2009 06:58 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD 6.50 2700 bundled with a Kworld DVD Maker 2 USB video capture device. I can capture video from analogue 8mm camcorder tape (home movies) via the Kworld DVD Maker 2 USB device. The problem is when there is a momentary glitch on the tape, or a gap between recorded sections on the tape, then the program stops capturing and comes up with the error message "This content is copy protected and can not be captured" . This can happen many times during a 1 hour tape and makes capturing impossible. I have downloaded the latest updates for the programs from the web site. This happens with both PowerDirector V6.50 2700 and and PowerProducer V4.

I guess this is a fault in the design of these programs incorrectly detecting the temporarily scrambled picture as copyrighted. Whichever way it makes the product totally useless for purpose - capturing camcorder video onto a PC. Does anyone have any workarounds please?
Jeremy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi
Thanks for the response. I don't have any problem with dropped frames or lack of sync, that is all fine. The problem is the Cyberlink software deciding at random intervals the content is copyright.

I have tried Windows movie maker, but it seems very slow and I can't capture in a high quality format (e.g. for DVD). I have also tried Pinnacle Studio 10, which I normally use with no problem for my DV editing, but it doesn't recognise the capture device.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I have emailed tech support but haven't had any response yet.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 17. 2009 11:36

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I use Movie Maker for my analogue captures. It captures in avi, you can't get better than that for standard def, and I never get an error message.
If you need to get away from usb, and you have a newer digital camcorder, check to see if it has av to dv conversion.
If yes, then use firewire. Staying with MM. Of course you will need the proper av to dv connections.

It's always somethin'.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 17. 2009 12:22

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Jeremy [Avatar]
[Post New]
The best video capture option MM offers is "Video for local playback 2.1 Mbps", I want something nearer 6-8Mbps for DVD authoring, so this still falls far short. Yes I would love to use DV input but my camcorder is an 8mm unit that only offers analogue out, and my DV camcorder doesn't take analogue input, so I am stuck!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I gotta run, but...
if your dv camcorder has av/dv then there's gotta be an itty-bitty mini jack. That oh-so-maligned Radio Shack will have the right plug set up for short money. As for MM, I'm sure it captures in 2 types of dv-avi, but I've been wrong before...I'll check that later. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Jeremy [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have had a response from tech support that this is in fact a characteristic of the Cyberlink software, i.e. capturing analogue video will throw up copyright violation errors from the software every time there is a break in the recording or glitch on the tape, making the software unusable for such a task and not fit for purpose.

Another own goal by the movie industry as once again their short sited copy protection systems penalises and alienates legitimate users, and the wooden spoon goes to Kworld and Cyberlink who perpetuate the practice and promise features ("1 click recording of old home movie tapes") that their products by design are unable to deliver.
roger608 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Florida, USA Joined: Apr 21, 2009 16:15 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Using a Sony TRV510 to playback I can capture HI8 material via firewire using PD7. However when I play normal 8 tapes PD7 halts capture about every 15 seconds. On the other hand, Windows Movie Maker captures the 8mm tapes as AVI files with no problems. AMD FX8350 8 CORE, 16GB, Win 10 Home Prem 64-bit, GTX 1050 2GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB Hitachi SATA 2, PD16
roger608 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Found this posted by Jeff. It works for me too. Can capture 8mm via 1394 from a digital 8 Sony.

<<Ok, I figured it out on my own. I remembered going into preferences and turned off DV auto stop. It now works fine. turned off stop scanning and capturing when theres a long blank or interval on the tape. Thanks!>>

AMD FX8350 8 CORE, 16GB, Win 10 Home Prem 64-bit, GTX 1050 2GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB Hitachi SATA 2, PD16
STEVE [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 16, 2010 19:48 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I don't see anything in PD8 about turning off DV auto stop or stop scanning when there's a long blank. I'm using a usb capture device with a VCR plugged in, and the videos are from a camcorder. Sometimes there's some 'scrambling' between scenes, and PD8 considers that to be an indication of copyrighted material. It's really, really annoying, makes the software virtually useless as a capture mechanism. I'm really disappointed.
roger608 [Avatar]
[Post New]
In PD8 go to Edit>preferences>capture, clik on "DV Parameters" and uncheck the boxes for DV Auto Stop, etc.

Works for me. Good Luck. AMD FX8350 8 CORE, 16GB, Win 10 Home Prem 64-bit, GTX 1050 2GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB Hitachi SATA 2, PD16
STEVE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Roger - I'll try that, but those parameters are for DV, and my capture is analog. I don't think they would pertain to analog capture, would they?
STEVE [Avatar]
[Post New]
That didn't work - I'm still getting the "copyright" error between scenes from my camcorder. Very annoying that this is still occurring in a product as mature as PD is - Fortunately, the capture software that came free with my analog/usb device doesn't have this problem. It would just be nice to do the capture and editing in one program.
Godfather [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2012 05:48 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same problem and am frustrated with this copyright error. I am converting my old VHS home movies using the ION video 2 PC hardware. In the package I was supplied with Power director to capture my video. It does not work!!!!!!
Godfather [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2012 05:48 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
2 days of hell I went through with the special thanks to power directors annoying copyright errors.

I now will be using a free program that is only 32mb in size and does exactly what I expect it to do, and that is to capture video using my "ion Video 2 pc" hardware.

http://www.filebuzz.com/fileinfo/50123/Debut_Video_Capture_Software.html
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 01, 2014 15:23 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Guys, I just bought Power Director 10 from Tiger Direct and experienced the same stupid Copy Right problem with their software. Was about to return it to the shop.

But, I found a software Golden Videos - capture VHS to DVS. It is free - and it works like a charm with the Kworld video capture device that came in the box of the Power Director.

Just download this:

http://www.nchsoftware.com/goldenvideos/kb/1112.html

Now am on my way to transferring all my old vhs to files.

btw. I work with software developers constantly and Cyber Link must fix this issue. It is a P1 Issue, no excuse, so Mr. Scooter am with you and disagree with all other interpretation and escape route for them.

Chris