CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HOW do i stop mediaespresso from autostarting
Reply to this topic
mike2018 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Dec 26, 2015 15:49 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
you wouldn't believe the absolutely moronic answers i've gotten from tect support for this simple question.
"try startups in msconfig" - NOPE
"stop all unnecessary services"- REALLY? Do those idiots have any idea how much damage that would do to other software?
"send us list of your services" - IT'N NOT IN TH F'ING SERVICES
and if you want to talk to someone, you have to pat. this is the last cybercrap prodict i'll ever buy.

can anyone here please tell me how to stop this crap from autostarting? i've looked in the (now stupidly hidden) startup folder and
i've searched the entire registry.

???

where does this piece of trash autostart from?
[Post New]
Hi Mike,
Not sure why customer service or you cannot figure this out, as it is quite simple. You right click on the "CyberLink MediaEspresso" icon in the system tray and then deselect "Display MediaEspresso Gadget icon in system tray at startup" option. Then right click on it again and select "Exit".

The system tray icon will close and then the desktop gadget will be removed. If you reboot, it won't be there, if this is what you are referring to. MediaEspresso is not started after I reboot (just tested again).

Let me know if you meant something else. I reuploaded a screenshot from a previous post.

Dave
 Filename
GadgetSystemTrayIcon (1).jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
64 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 20. 2018 02:08

[Post New]
Hello Mike,

This is not how you get a response on the forum. CyberLink customer service does not monitor the forum, so posting your disdain is not helpful to your cause.

FYI, your user name and signature was modified to remove the uneccessary attacks on customer service.

Cheers
MediaEspresso Moderator
mike2018 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Mike,
Not sure why customer service or you cannot figure this out, as it is quite simple. You right click on the "CyberLink MediaEspresso" icon in the system tray and then deselect "Display MediaEspresso Gadget icon in system tray at startup" option. Then right click on it again and select "Exit".

The system tray icon will close and then the desktop gadget will be removed. If you reboot, it won't be there, if this is what you are referring to. MediaEspresso is not started after I reboot (just tested again).

Let me know if you meant something else. I reuploaded a screenshot from a previous post.

Dave

yeah - this doesn't stop it from loading, merely removes the irritating tray icon and desktop space wasting widget. it still starts, and slows boot time. i finally got hold of someone who knew something (after 4 days) - they start mediaespresso in Scheduled Tasks, if you can believe it, triggered by a user logon. Someone really needs to have a talk with the product manager. at the risk of offending the person with the other reply (mr moderator, i think (yeah - i'm impressed)), this is stupid practice and a truly insiduous way of hiding an autostart where most of us wouldn't think of looking.
[Post New]
Hello Mike,

I understand your frustration, but I think what you are missing (as am I) that it seems the behaviour is different on different computers.

I assume you are referring to the "DeviceDetector" in the Task Scheduler? This is what you stopped that fixed your issue? For me, this item is at "Ready" and not running in the Status column. I have been using MediaEspresso (MEX) since it first came out and I have never experienced the issue you are referring to. When I disable the launch gadget at start up, I don't see any effects of MediaEspresso at startup.

Can you outline exactly what you experience and how you know it is MEX (especially if you weren't looking in the Task Scheduler) delaying your boot? Did you see MEX running in Task Manager somewhere? I can't see it anywhere.

As for your comment on putting things in the task scheduler. It is quite common to trigger things at uset login. For example I have Dropbox auto starting in the TS even when dropbox app is not open on my computer. I just think there is something different you are seeing, that I am not, which could be a bug that CS has not seen. i.e. it is not common.

As a person who holds a PhD in Physics, I am sure you know that time is relative and people experience the passage of time differently. So what may seem like a long boot to you, may not seem like to others tongue-out

Anyway...let me know
Dave
mike2018 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello Mike,

I understand your frustration, but I think what you are missing (as am I) that it seems the behaviour is different on different computers.

I assume you are referring to the "DeviceDetector" in the Task Scheduler? This is what you stopped that fixed your issue? For me, this item is at "Ready" and not running in the Status column. I have been using MediaEspresso (MEX) since it first came out and I have never experienced the issue you are referring to. When I disable the launch gadget at start up, I don't see any effects of MediaEspresso at startup.

Can you outline exactly what you experience and how you know it is MEX (especially if you weren't looking in the Task Scheduler) delaying your boot? Did you see MEX running in Task Manager somewhere? I can't see it anywhere.

As for your comment on putting things in the task scheduler. It is quite common to trigger things at uset login. For example I have Dropbox auto starting in the TS even when dropbox app is not open on my computer. I just think there is something different you are seeing, that I am not, which could be a bug that CS has not seen. i.e. it is not common.

As a person who holds a PhD in Physics, I am sure you know that time is relative and people experience the passage of time differently. So what may seem like a long boot to you, may not seem like to others tongue-out

Anyway...let me know
Dave

Thanks. But i don't like autostarts, pretty much ever. i'm quite capable of starting programs, err -'apps' - when i want them : Except for antimalware, autostart should ALWAYS be an option at install time. But we all have our own opinions, and this is just mine. The less a software package does to my system, the less mess i have to clean up :

I've already wasted too much time on this already - removing it from task scheduler solved my problem, so everythin's copacetic (sp??)

(Engage pedantic physicist mode) At the risk of sounding rude - which I really don't mean to - you've fallen into a common misconception that, probably incorrectly, is attributed to Einstein himself. The perception of time passing faster or slower based on whether you're bored, happy, etc. has absolutely nothing to do with relativity or physics. Purely a psychological effect. What relativity says is that the 'speed of time' is actually different in frames of reference that are moving at different velocities (special relativity) or, to over simplify greatly, different accelerations (general relativity). GPSs have to be corrected for GR effects, so it's not just abstract theory - it's proven millions of times a day : The thing about physicists is we love physics so much we'll never avoid an opportunity to bore people with an explanation :

Have a nice day!
mike2018 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi -

Did i already respond? my responce isn't showing in the list...

What OS do you have? I have Win10. When i went into Task Scheduler, it had to run at user logon (which can be detected by task scheduler). Just stopping the tray icon, i could go into Task Manager and still see MEX processes running. So either i had a messed up install (entirely possible) or closing the tray icon only does what it says, and does not stop the process. If, indeed, it does stop the process, then it should be far clearer in stating that's what it's doing. For EVERY other program i've used with a tray icon, turning off the icon only does that, but does not terminate/prevent the process from executing.

...and i think i already commented on your misreading of Einstein :. No offense intended - he started the mess with his (sexist) comment about 'pretty girls'.

And i realize it's purely opinion, but as a former product manager for computer (networking) software/drivers, i consider it terribly bad practice to start something at 'user logon' that is not user specific (as DropBox is), end even then it's preferable to use a user branch of the registry for user-specific settings than to use Task Scheduler. One if the first things i do after setting up a new PC is to go to Task Scheduler and remove trash. Google is particularly bad about wrongly assuming how i want things done. (WAAAY off topic - sorry)

Quote Hello Mike,

Anyway...let me know
Dave
Reply to this topic