where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Downloading .dzl (multiple effects) from DirectorZone
Reply to this topic
GrantCS [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: May 06, 2018 03:54 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello

In DirectorZone, if I select one transition (for example) to download and install, it works perfectly. I get a popup box confirming success that it has been added to PD - and on checking, the transition is added to PD.

If on the other hand I use the [Select] button and I select one or more items and then press [Download], I always get a popup saying

"0 template(s) installed successfully. xxx template/(s) not installed successfully"

This happens whether I select 1 or more items - and it could relate to Titles, Transitions, etc.

Is there something I should be doing to put PD into a state to allow it to update multiple items simultaneously from DZ?

ps. I think I loaded this message onto the wrong forum, so I am posting it here - but in more depth.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 05. 2020 02:09

[Post New]
Hello GrantCS,

It may be worth considering testing with a different browser. Which one are you currently using?

I've just checked with Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge & Mozilla Firefox, all of which work flawlessly here.

On DirectorZone:

1. Click on a user name to go to their profile

2. Click on templates

3. Select the type of templates you wish to download

4. Click "Select"

5. Check particular templates for download

6. Click the Download icon

7. If successful, a .dzl will be downloaded ready to install

8. Double click the .dzl file for installation

Here is an unlisted screen capture showing those steps in Firefox.

Could you post at which point in the process yours is failing?

PIX PhD CDR ADR DZ MVL PP Forum Moderator
PIX YouTube channel
Transigence [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jul 01, 2019 01:01 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello GrantCS,

It may be worth considering testing with a different browser. Which one are you currently using?

I've just checked with Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge & Mozilla Firefox, all of which work flawlessly here.

On DirectorZone:

1. Click on a user name to go to their profile

2. Click on templates

3. Select the type of templates you wish to download

4. Click "Select"

5. Check particular templates for download

6. Click the Download icon

7. If successful, a .dzl will be downloaded ready to install

8. Double click the .dzl file for installation

Here is an unlisted screen capture showing those steps in Firefox.

Could you post at which point in the process yours is failing?

PIX

I have the same problem. It's not the browser, it's a problem with either PowerDirector or whatever server software is batching these .dztr files into .dzl files. I have the same problem if I try to run them from Windows Explorer.
PowerDirector 17.0.3005.0
[Thumb - attach dzl.png]
 Filename
attach dzl.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
15 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 5911 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have the same problem. It's not the browser, it's a problem with either PowerDirector or whatever server software is batching these .dztr files into .dzl files. I have the same problem if I try to run them from Windows Explorer.
PowerDirector 17.0.3005.0

The screenshot shows that your download is only 1kB in size, so there isn't any content in that file. Which items specifically are you trying to download? Can you do them one at a time, rather than batching them?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win10 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 2070 | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Transigence [Avatar]
[Post New]

The screenshot shows that your download is only 1kB in size, so there isn't any content in that file. Which items specifically are you trying to download? Can you do them one at a time, rather than batching them?

I hadn't even noticed that, so I did some investigating. Here are the contents of the file:

"""

Yes, downloading individual assets works just fine, it's only when trying to download a batch does this problem arise, as the OP pointed out.
If I were to guess at the meaning of the extension based on the naming convention of all the other .dz* files as well as the contents of this one, I'd say it means "director zone list."

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2020 13:58

Transigence [Avatar]
[Post New]

I apologize for the roughness in the previous post. The "code" markdown doesn't seem to work very well here. There are no line numbers in the file, or triple quotes. It's just a list of links to the items I requested on separate lines.
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 5911 Offline
[Post New]
OK. The URLs with the file names aren't usable outside of your DZ account, but I tried doing the same thing with some random templates and this is clearly a bug with the DZ website:

I think this issue actually belongs in the DZ forum, and I've just sent a PM to PIX (who's also the DZ Moderator) to see if he can relay the info to the appropriate people and maybe get this resolved.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win10 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 2070 | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Transigence [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote OK. The URLs with the file names aren't usable outside of your DZ account, but I tried doing the same thing with some random templates and this is clearly a bug with the DZ website:

I think this issue actually belongs in the DZ forum, and I've just sent a PM to PIX (who's also the DZ Moderator) to see if he can relay the info to the appropriate people and maybe get this resolved.

I don't think it is a bug with the site. It looks to me like they were planning on just sending the links to the application and having the application retrieve the assets from the site itself, if I were to guess.

I'm thinking it's a bug in the application.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 04. 2020 16:47

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 4541 Offline
[Post New]
Quote OK. The URLs with the file names aren't usable outside of your DZ account, but I tried doing the same thing with some random templates and this is clearly a bug with the DZ website:

I see nothing really wrong, are you just implying the size is small? That's to be expected as *.dzl is just a url listing of what to download, not the download itself. So for 3 urls maybe 250 characters or so. The EffectExtractor does the actual download and install.

The issue Transigence describes appears very similar to other issues often traced back to a issue with the EffectExtractor.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
Ok. I see. I thought it was supposed an archive like a zip file with all the content included. If I click on Open from my browser's pop up notification, everything installs correctly on my system:

If I save the .dzl file and open it with Notepad++, I see the same style of hyperlinks as noted above, so it does seem like the issues are with EffectExtractor on the affected systems, and not the script on the DZ website.

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
Hello members,

I appeciate this issue being raised and discussed here. It's been some time since I've downloaded a .dzl from DirectorZone, as I generally download effects one-by-one.

There certainly is an issue, & I hope I understand it correctly.

I've just downloaded 3 different .dzl files, all from CyberLink's DZ collection. Video Collage, Titles & PiP templates. Downloading & installation appears to go correctly, but the templates have NOT been installed & do not appear in PDR 365.

Once I've clarified the issue for myself, I'll certainly pass it onto CL for their attention.

PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Something strange I've just noticed:

Even though the downloaded effects do not appear in PDR, when I check in C:\Users\Public\CyberLink in the appropriate sub-folders, all the effects selected to be downloaded as a .dzl are there!

So, Effect Extractor installs them in the right place but they don't show up in PDR.

Is this a fair summation of the problem?

PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
I have some further news, if I've understood the .dzl issue correctly.

When I download .dzl files for PhotoDirector (photo presets & express layer templates), ColorDirector (video presets) and AudioDirector (sound clips), the templates/effects (a) are installed correctly & (b) appear in both PhD & CDR in the appropriate modules.

FYI, effects are installed in these locations (default):
PDR - C:\Users\Public\CyberLink (in the appropriate sub-folder)
PhD - C:\Users\Public\CyberLink\Downloaded EP and C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\CyberLink\PhotoDirector\Adjustment Presets\Downloaded Presets
CDR - C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\CyberLink\ColorDirector\Adjustment presets
ADR - C:\Users\Public\CyberLink\Downloaded Audio

That (perhaps) narrows the issue, if I've understood the .dzl issue correctly.

PIX YouTube channel
Transigence [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have some further news, if I've understood the .dzl issue correctly.

When I download .dzl files for PhotoDirector (photo presets & express layer templates), ColorDirector (video presets) and AudioDirector (sound clips), the templates/effects (a) are installed correctly & (b) appear in both PhD & CDR in the appropriate modules.

FYI, effects are installed in these locations (default):
PDR - C:\Users\Public\CyberLink (in the appropriate sub-folder)
PhD - C:\Users\Public\CyberLink\Downloaded EP and C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\CyberLink\PhotoDirector\Adjustment Presets\Downloaded Presets
CDR - C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\CyberLink\ColorDirector\Adjustment presets
ADR - C:\Users\Public\CyberLink\Downloaded Audio

That (perhaps) narrows the issue, if I've understood the .dzl issue correctly.

PIX

I do not believe this to be the case. I have looked in my "Downloaded Transitions" folder in the location you have described, and have found only the transitions that I have downloaded individually from the Director Zone site.

I would have expected to see all four "Flashing Dots" transitions from "Yousef," as well as others, but they are not present.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Something strange I've just noticed:

Even though the downloaded effects do not appear in PDR, when I check in C:\Users\Public\CyberLink in the appropriate sub-folders, all the effects selected to be downloaded as a .dzl are there!

So, Effect Extractor installs them in the right place but they don't show up in PDR.

Is this a fair summation of the problem?

PIX

That seems similar to the issues here and here. I wonder if a different version of EffectExtractor would make a difference?

I see that each version of each DirectorSuite app has their own extractor and set of .dll menu files specific to each language. For PD18, the extractor is V2.3.0.4615 dated Dec 5, 2019, and it's located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files folder. The related DLLs are located in the appropriate Langauge folder below, as in C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files\language\eng.

I've attached a zip file with the latest versions, and the safest way to test these out is to rename the existing files then copy these into the same folders and try to install the .DZL again.
 Filename
Shared files.zip
[Disk]
 Description
PD18 EffectExtractor + related files
 Filesize
2305 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
455 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

Transigence [Avatar]
[Post New]

That seems similar to the issues here and here. I wonder if a different version of EffectExtractor would make a difference?

I see that each version of each DirectorSuite app has their own extractor and set of .dll menu files specific to each language. For PD18, the extractor is V2.3.0.4615 dated Dec 5, 2019, and it's located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files folder. The related DLLs are located in the appropriate Langauge folder below, as in C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files\language\eng.

I've attached a zip file with the latest versions, and the safest way to test these out is to rename the existing files then copy these into the same folders and try to install the .DZL again.

Your file and my file have the same CRC (and file metedata). It's the same file.
optodata
[Post New]
Well, that implies that it's not the extractor itself, but maybe something about how it's configured on your system. I think tech support will be needed to get this resolved.

YouTube/optodata

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 4541 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Your file and my file have the same CRC (and file metedata). It's the same file.

You might narrow the issue a little bit by verifying that the list is downloaded correctly. Look in C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\EffectExtractor\Temporary\ prior to acknowledging the "Done" dialog. These are just zip files so you can interrogate and see if contents are really there.

Jeff
Transigence [Avatar]
[Post New]

You might narrow the issue a little bit by verifying that the list is downloaded correctly. Look in C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\EffectExtractor\Temporary\ prior to acknowledging the "Done" dialog. These are just zip files so you can interrogate and see if contents are really there.

Jeff

Empty folder.
[Thumb - no effects downloaded.png]
 Filename
no effects downloaded.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
You might want to try downloading and installing a great, really fast, free drive indexer called Everything.

Its search is lightning quick, and if you simply type in .dz it will immediately show you every .DZ* file on your system, which may help you figure out if the files are actually being downloaded or not:

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 05. 2020 17:44

YouTube/optodata

Reply to this topic