Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Shoot in 2.7k, output in 1080p?
[Post New]
Hi all,

I've heard several people on the interwebs say, essentially, "I always shoot in 4k, no matter what the final product needs to be." I'm curious to know if there's are actually some very good technical reasons for this, or if it's just for bragging rights?

Say my goal is to produce a 1080p video @ 30fps. What, if any, would the advantages be of shooting in 2.7k @ 60fps? (That setting is the sweet spot for video on my camera. I can go up to 4k@30fps (or 24fps), but I'm not steady or slow/patient enough to shoot without jaggies. : )

If there are real advantages to shooting at a higher res and frame rate, how do I use PD15 to create that 1080p @ 30fps video; do I edit the 2.7k video, and once I'm done simply output the video with those settings?

Thanks!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
The advantage is that the original source footage will be sharper, so after encoding you have a better chance of a sharper image. Faster frame rate is mostly to eliminate motion blur.

Edit the source as is. Then produce to the smaller size. This is a general statement, of course. It depends on the camera. I would guess that 2.7k is a GoPro and you have super sharp 1080 video anyways. On my Canon, shooting at 4k reduces the stablization, so you just have to try it and see if it works for you, but I have used that method myself on previous cameras. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
Quote The advantage is that the original source footage will be sharper, so after encoding you have a better chance of a sharper image. Faster frame rate is mostly to eliminate motion blur.

Edit the source as is. Then produce to the smaller size. This is a general statement, of course. It depends on the camera. I would guess that 2.7k is a GoPro and you have super sharp 1080 video anyways. On my Canon, shooting at 4k reduces the stablization, so you just have to try it and see if it works for you, but I have used that method myself on previous cameras.

Thanks James; this is the camera on my Autel drone...pretty stunning, for what it is! I just shot some 2.7k/60 footage today and will put it through PD15 and output to 1080p/30 and see how it looks (and if I need to ask more questions!).