where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD Menu Music Too Short
Reply to this topic
Craig [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Oct 23, 2008 04:19 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Hi There,

I'm using PowerProducer 3 NE. I've created my project successfully and it previews fine but when I actually author it there is a problem with the audio of the menu. Instead of the music clip running for 2 minutes (which is the length I trimmed it to) it only runs for about 10 seconds and then loops back again. The menu thumbnails are themselves short video clips as opposed to stills and when the thumbnail clip ends and loops back the audio loops back with it.

I think this behaviour may be occurring because I have selected "Enable Video Thumbnail" in the Menu settings of my Project Preferences but there is a box below that setting that says the "User-defined motion menu duration" is 45 seconds. This setting is actually greyed out and i can't see how to change the value but my menus are definitely not picking up this value any way as the thumbnail clips only last about 10 seconds (as i mentioned earlier).

I realise I could just try some trail and error authoring but I really don't want to waste a whole load of discs on trying to find the correct settings. It's quite annoying that the preview function of PowerProducer 3 does not accurately model the final authored product.

Cheers

C
Jim [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Aug 29, 2009 13:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Craig.
I fought with the same problem yesterday. I thought I was setting just the thumbnail preview lengths to 10 seconds, but the whole menu lasted only 8-10 seconds, then jumped into the first menu option.
I had just added a 5-minute music piece, and wanted more. My duration box was not greyed out, so I changed it to 99 seconds (the max it would let me take it).
I think my short thumbnail clips still stayed short (not sure), but I got 90-95 seconds of music and menu. I had clicked "repeat", and I think it did that, from the beginning of the song. I don't recall if it jumped in at that point, but at that point I thought it mattered less if it did.
Good luck.
Jim
McLean1 [Avatar]
Contributor Private Message Joined: Jul 30, 2006 23:00 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
Jim and Craig

Unfortunately this is a pet peeve of mine in both Power Producer and Power Director.

The Menus themselves have certain time limits on them (the ones that are default menus) .15 seconds is the shortest, I think.

You can increase the menu length (I have sometimes just taken a picture and created a video that runs longer and put it in as the menu (this does add volume to your project but it allows you to increase the length of the music clip). In addition, no matter what you do, you can't increase the music length longer than 1.39 even if the menu you create lasts 8 minutes, the length of the music is no longer than 1.39. (btw this applies to the background music they put in too, even though their audio clip might be longer, it will only play for the determined length of their preset menu)

SO the short answer is the music can only be as long as 1.39 in an ideal situation with PP or PD AND you need to check your menu length itself and then create a longer menu, so your music can go longer.

Hopefully at some point Cyberlink will allow us to put our music in and let it run the length of the clip. One can pray.

Craig [Avatar]
[Post New]
McLean,

Thanks for the reply.

Before I carry on I must tell you that I've upgraded to PP5 as part of DVD Suite. However I still have problems with menus, their background music and their length.

When you say "The Menus themselves have certain time limits on them", do you mean the menu templates? Also, does this mean that whatever I choose as the menu length and the music clip length for that menu it will be ignored and the value that is "hard-coded" into the menu template i've downloaded will be used instead. As part of PP5 I can now download and use menu templates from the DirectorZone site and I have to say I have suffered some inconsistent DVD output in terms of the usability of the templates.

I've reverted to using still thumbnails in my menus instead of video thumbnails as they seem to cause less problems.

Finally can you tell me how the menu length value in project properties and background music length I choose for a particular page in a menu template interact as I can't see any consistency. If I set the menu length in project properties to 45 seconds but then set my background music to a 20 second clip taken from a 1 minute mp3 file my final DVD has a menu of 45 seconds but instead if looping the 20 second music clip the menu just plays 45 seconds worth of the 1 minute music file. On top of that I don't get any fade out!

Please help. I Find Cyberlink software very frustrating!
McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
However I still have problems with menus, their background music and their length.

Yes this is a continuous problem. It has never been changed, since I started using Power Director and Power Producer 4-5 years ago.

When you say "The Menus themselves have certain time limits on them", do you mean the menu templates?

Yes the Menu Templates. If you take a look in the folders inside the program (most especially if it is a video menu, you can see how long the template is set for) For example White Christmas (a template that is in both, I believe) if you look at the video length it is set at .15.

Also, does this mean that whatever I choose as the menu length and the music clip length for that menu it will be ignored and the value that is "hard-coded" into the menu template i've downloaded will be used instead.

Yes I believe this is so. I do think that if you have a picture as the template, you might be able to extend your audio by having a video thumbnail that runs for .99 (if I remember correctly but that's it)

As part of PP5 I can now download and use menu templates from the DirectorZone site and I have to say I have suffered some inconsistent DVD output in terms of the usability of the templates.

I can't really say anything about the templates at Director Zone, I haven't really used any full templates from there.

I've reverted to using still thumbnails in my menus instead of video thumbnails as they seem to cause less problems.

The my suggestion up top, probably won't help you, I use both thumbnails and video thumbnails, my main issue is the fact that if you use video thumbnails and you are to the wire with room on your dvd, it adds to the volume of your project and just might tip you over the line.

Finally can you tell me how the menu length value in project properties and background music length I choose for a particular page in a menu template interact as I can't see any consistency. If I set the menu length in project properties to 45 seconds but then set my background music to a 20 second clip taken from a 1 minute mp3 file my final DVD has a menu of 45 seconds but instead if looping the 20 second music clip the menu just plays 45 seconds worth of the 1 minute music file. On top of that I don't get any fade out!

Now this part, I have run into the same thing, but I think this is a glitch. I really didn't know whether it was the program itself or the program on my computer. I have three computers and I have PP4 on the one and PP5 on another. There were some differences that I noted and that was one, I don't really have an answer for you here. In PP4 you could dictate the length of the audio clip (assuming the menu would let you) and if it was less than the menu length, then it was less. The odd time when I burned background audio, I redid the audio clip (although I usually want more audio rather than less)

Please help. I Find Cyberlink software very frustrating!

I understand what you mean and I think in your place I might also find it frustrating. The thing with these programs is that for a basic user, they are pretty easy to just open up and use. The problem is there are some little annoyances (like this one) that make it frustrating. I do know, though, that Cyberlink tends to be responsive to questions (even though they don't have an answer for us at present, at least you hear back, there are some programs I've used that that is not the case.) These forums and the people that are here to help are amazing, so you can get a lot of advice in here.

I hope you are not too discouraged. I have tried other programs and they have been much harder to learn to use and in some cases as frustrating.

Craig [Avatar]
[Post New]
McLean,

Thank you very much indeed for that thorough reply. At least I now know that it's not just me ;

Cheers

C
McLean1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nope not just you. I am hoping at some point Cyberlink will just change the way this happens. I'm sure that there is a reason for it, it just doesn't make sense to me.
alan2620 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Aug 17, 2013 11:50 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have power director 11, and am trying to use my own music on both the root menu and chapter menus setting the lenth to 99 secs, it is ok on the root menu but i cannot get it to play on the subsequent menus, only the short cyberlink music plays for 10 secs i have tried everything but cannot increase the lenth of the music, can anyone assist a way to have my own music on the different pages of the menu and set to a longer time.
many thanks
Reply to this topic