Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Upgrade 7 to 8, Un-installing 7?
LostTarget [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2008 11:38 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
Upgrading from PD 7 to PD 8.

When I get to the point where it ask about un-installing previous version and I press YES, nothing happens. If I say NO, nothing happens.

Am I suppose to be the one removing PD 7 via remove program or is there a problem with the upgrade software?
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Joe,

Having done a few re-installs and PD upgrades, I’ve found that the following procedure works well for me.

- Uninstall PD using Absolute Uninstaller (free)
http://download.cnet.com/Absolute-Uninstaller/3000-2248_4-67771.html

- Clean out and remove any temp and left over files in the registry with CCleaner (free)
http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

(Note: The last time I uninstalled PD7, CCleaner found “20” left over Cyberlink files in the registry, after I swept twice. And those 20 leftover files will indeed cause problems with a new install of a new version of PD)

Also, don’t forget to uninstall and remove the Photo Now program. Even though it came with your original PD7 download, you do indeed have to uninstall it separately. Then do a registry clean of that program too.
Then I re-boot, and just to be safe, I do one more quick scan with CCleaner, to confirm anything and everything PowerDirector and Photo Now related is gone.

Now I can do my install of PD, and PD will not run into any left over registry files from the old version, that may trip up the install of the new.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
LostTarget [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm not having any luck : (

If any parts of PD7 remains in the computer, they are hidden from me.

Yes, I have set all hidden files to show.

I now have a copy of PD7 and PD8, neither that will install on my computer....

I have a ticket with support, but have not received an answer.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Joe,

Well, if you've done a total un-install of both "PD7" and "Photo Now".
And have done a complete registry clean of both “PD7” and “Photo Now”.
And you still can't install PD, then I have no other suggestions, as that method has always worked for me.

But here’s some other info that might help.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7580.page#30794

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
LostTarget [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm up an running.

I removed a file that I and the uninstall process had overlooked. I put in a ticket to Cyberlink and was told where to look.

I have no idea why PD8 does not have it's own un-install of older version program built in, as seen in many other programs.