CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
tivo support in mediashow espresso
Reply to this topic
Anthony [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jun 29, 2009 17:20 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Has anyone successfully converted .TiVo files with espresso?

Espresso never recognizes them as valid video files on my machine (Vista Ultimate 64).

I can convert between other file formats and espresso really hussles on these using all cores of my i7 at 97%..

But I mainly want it to convert files from my tivo recordings.

Tony
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Do you have the program, Tivo desktop installed on your computer? Apprently it is required to convert Tivo files to other formats.

It is free and you can download it here:

http://www.tivo.com/buytivo/tivogear/software/index.html

Let me know if that helps
Regards,
David
Anthony [Avatar]
[Post New]
yes I have Tivo desktop 2.7 which I use to transfer files from my tivo to my computer. It does not allow conversion of .tivo files. "Tivo desktop plus" gives you the ability to convert files (upgrade to plus is 25 bucks).

Corel DVD copy allows me to copy these tivo files to mpg or other formats, but it is very slow.

I was looking for a faster solution from espresso since it can leverage all the horsepower from my computer, and also from graphics cards.
Anthony [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have conducted some experiments and have found that espresso does not appear to recognize files in excess of 1200 megabytes in size. I have got it to load and convert files of up to 1.04 gigabytes, and will do some more tests to see if I can find the breaking point.

Test results for Tivo conversions by Espresso

tivo set to high quality
71.2 megs (1 minute 40) - ok
667 megs (25 minutes) - ok
800 megs (30 minutes) - ok
1066 megs (40 minutes) - ok
1599 megs (60 minutes) - fail
3907 megs (150 minutes) - fail

tivo set to Best Quality
1266 megs (30 minutes) - fail
2239 megs (96 minutes) - fail

fail indicates espresso fails to recognize the file as a proper video file and displays a question mark when the file has been imported into the espresso workspace
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thanks for this info and your efforts. I will pass on to RD. I will let you know as soon as I hear something.

Regards,
David
Paul [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jul 24, 2009 08:33 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
My 2 hour DV tapes from my Hi8 camcorder get imported as 24.9GB AVI files, and Espresso seems to be able to process and encode them as MPEG4 just fine, resulting in 5.7GB m2ts files. Just in case this helps, and I realized my config isn't supported yet. I'm using NTFS filesystem, under Windows 7 RC x86 version.

Also, I believe when I used RAID0 and tried Espresso with a >2TB volume GPT disk for drive D:, it wouldn't recognize the storage space available, but now at 1.99TB MBR style drive, things are working fine.

This would be something else for RD to look at though, as eventually I'd like to have a 200MB RAID0 boot drive C:, and a 2.8TB D:, using a Intel ICH10R RAID0 of 3 1TB drives.

Thanks!
turbocycle [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Oct 26, 2014 15:33 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Has anyone successfully converted .TiVo files with espresso?

Espresso never recognizes them as valid video files on my machine (Vista Ultimate 64).

I can convert between other file formats and espresso really hussles on these using all cores of my i7 at 97%..

But I mainly want it to convert files from my tivo recordings.

Tony

Try this - In TiVo Desktop, go to File --> Preferences --> uncheck "File Transfer Speed - Use the fastest method available when transferring files from my TiVo DVR"

This worked for me.
Reply to this topic