Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Which resolution is best
Andrew_1957 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 26, 2018 06:29 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
I have a short 5 minute video of music clips I need to burn to a single sided DVD.

What would be the best recommended resolution to burn at - as I'm finding using some of the higher ones in the Production area is pushing the dvd to its limits and have to keep trimming clips slightly
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a short 5 minute video of music clips I need to burn to a single sided DVD.

What would be the best recommended resolution to burn at - as I'm finding using some of the higher ones in the Production area is pushing the dvd to its limits and have to keep trimming clips slightly

I recommend the AVCHD disc (Create Disc - AVCHD). It can have a resolution up to 1920x1080 (Full HD)
The disc is maybe playable with modern BlueRay Players. 5 minutes make about 1 GB of 4.7 GB of the DVD., so that should not be a problem.

If you choose DVD, the resolution is fix: 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC).
For BlueRay, you obviously need a BlueRay Burner.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Hatti makes an important point you should note.

If you make a DVD with AVCHD or high-definition video on it, it will ONLY be playable on BluRay disc players.

If you want to create a disc that is playable on DVD players, your only option is 720x480 (or 720x576 PAL) standard definition video. There is no such thing as a high resolution DVD that plays on DVD players.
Andrew_1957 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 26, 2018 06:29 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hatti makes an important point you should note.

If you make a DVD with AVCHD or high-definition video on it, it will ONLY be playable on BluRay disc players.

If you want to create a disc that is playable on DVD players, your only option is 720x480 (or 720x576 PAL) standard definition video. There is no such thing as a high resolution DVD that plays on DVD players.

So for a dvd to go in a dvd player, it will be essentially mpeg 2 format is that what you are saying.

What about saving as an MP4 file in a higher resolution and using an external dvd mastering program to create a DVD with ?

thanks to both of you for the replies
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
A DVD player will play DVD. It's an old video format. It is very unlikely, that a DVD player is able to play higher resolution than Video-DVD. So if you produce a 1920x1080 MP4, you can put it on a DVD (if it fits, of course). That DVD will NOT be a Video DVD, and very unlikely to be playable in a DVD player. It is possible, that this kind of disc can be played in a BlueRay player (my BlueRay can play those discs).
And if you produce a 1920x1080 MP4 and try to master it to a Video DVD with a Video DVD authoring program, you will find that this program will convert your MP4 to a 720x576 MPEG2 file.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080