Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Color Director 6 issue
Alain II [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 20, 2015 01:34 Messages: 136 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all,

I was testing CD6 a little and intended to add color to a B&W little footage to check the feasibility of a selection mask with Beziers dots.

When sending the footage back to the PD14 timeline the colored selection looks OK but when rendering as a MPG4 or MT2s H264 that selection is not good anymore is shifted from the original like what I have put at YT hereunder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkPCeMyUQ3g

The footage is 29 frames long X 6 times to show well. The first footage shows before rendering and the next after rendering.

Anyone an explanation and solution? I wrote to the technical support of CL and await further news.

Thanks in advance.

Alain II
[Post New]
Hello Alain II,

Could I ask, please, which steps you took in CDR?

Did you apply a Selection Mask to part of the image, as shown in the attached screenshot? If that's the case, it may explain the issue.

A Motion Tracking Mask would probably better give you the result you're after, if I understand correctly.

PIX
[Thumb - CDR_Selection Mask.jpg]
 Filename
CDR_Selection Mask.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
631 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
Alain II [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello Alain II,

Could I ask, please, which steps you took in CDR?

Did you apply a Selection Mask to part of the image, as shown in the attached screenshot? If that's the case, it may explain the issue.

A Motion Tracking Mask would probably better give you the result you're after, if I understand correctly.

PIX

Hello Pix,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, as I wrote "the feasibility of a selection mask with Bezier's dots". So, the regional selection mask with beziers dots was used. I preferred that mask to the motion mask because the footage was only 29 images long. Less than one second. Notice that I downloaded that video from YT as some kind of exercise and remade (re-edited) a clip. To avoid a too long part in CDR6 I cut that small footage to 29 images but since the images were treated already, the quality of the images is quite vague and contours are quite "elusive" which would probably not give a good result with "motion mask" although there's "some" movement in the scene (I did not try but will later today).

What is strange, is that when I finished the mask sending the footage back to the PD14 timeline, it worked well including hue, lightness, tint, etc. to show the US$ note details (see first part of the video). When I produced in CDR 6 and imported afterward to PDR14 I got that other result in part 2 of the video. That annoying shift. Also, the color used in "color replacement" is not what I chose: AF597FO . The shown color is much darker... .

Every additional advice more than welcome.

Best.

Alain II

PS. I have tried the motion tracking mask on that part but the result is "terrible".

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 07. 2018 09:40

[Post New]
Hello Alain II,

Yes, sorry, I didn't read your first post properly.

Without launching into the "the color used in "color replacement" is not what I chose: AF597FO" issue (yet), the basic problem is that Selection Masks are not the appropriate tool when there's even the slightest movement in the masked area.

Please see in these examples:

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Alain II [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello Alain II,

Yes, sorry, I didn't read your first post properly.

Without launching into the "the color used in "color replacement" is not what I chose: AF597FO" issue (yet), the basic problem is that Selection Masks are not the appropriate tool when there's even the slightest movement in the masked area.

Please see in these examples:

PIX

Hello Pix,

Thanks for this reply and the demo.

I understand the usage of the masks but unfortunately, the masks are very limited in CDR up till version 6 and I had hoped, like many others, that there was an improvement (announced!) in the "rotoscoping "minded" styles" which is again not the case in the last version. The demo you made handles simple examples but when the camera moves even a little, the systems fail. Only static views work and/or under conditions of extremely clear and clean images well defined with a strong background and full light but once dark(er) elusive images like in my video example, nor the motion tracking neither the selection mask with beziers are very useful. Some other FREE editing soft does MUCH better.... Try real rotoscoping with CDR6 on moving scenes (subject and background): Impossible. A pity.
This was discussed in previous threads already.

If only CL would really work on that... now I have to use that FREE extremely good soft back and forward if I need to.

Cheers.

Alain II

PS. The example of the falling Dollars pack: can you show the colored Dollars pack from image one coming in the picture to the end?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2018 07:03

[Post New]
Hello Alain II,

I agree with you about the motion tracking masks. In a similar way to how the tracker can become "lost" in PDR's Motion Tracker, CDR's mask does too. If the background is simple & there's strong contrast, they do well, but with more complex scenes or muted, non-contrasting colours they can easily fail.

So, yes, I deleiberately chose a simple clip to show the motion mask example.

As far as I can see, the other masks (selection, gradient & radial) work as intended in CDR.

In your posted example, a more accurate result would be achieved with Selection Masks by splitting the clip, as I did in the falling money bundles clip. It's unclear to me what you mean in your question: "can you show the colored Dollars pack from image one coming in the picture to the end?"

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Alain II [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello Alain II,

I agree with you about the motion tracking masks. In a similar way to how the tracker can become "lost" in PDR's Motion Tracker, CDR's mask does too. If the background is simple & there's strong contrast, they do well, but with more complex scenes or muted, non-contrasting colours they can easily fail.

So, yes, I deleiberately chose a simple clip to show the motion mask example.

As far as I can see, the other masks (selection, gradient & radial) work as intended in CDR.

In your posted example, a more accurate result would be achieved with Selection Masks by splitting the clip, as I did in the falling money bundles clip. It's unclear to me what you mean in your question: "can you show the colored Dollars pack from image one coming in the picture to the end?"

PIX

Hello Pix,

"A more accurate result would be achieved with Selection Masks by splitting the clip": do you mean splitting the 29 images to 29 files or a quantity of files of say 29 of X groups ?

For the US Dollars pack can you color each image from the entry into the video to when the pack falls on the ground/table where you started to color. That way you see that the movements are really tough to get. That's what I had in mind to do with the US Dollar banknote in front of the lady's face in my video. Color the 29 images of that nearly one second in one group (as I did) or make 29 images in several groups or make 29 files of one image. I will try that tomorrow and come back on this.

Thanks anyway for the time spent. It's much appreciated.

Alain II :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

Received an answer from the technical support of CL as hereunder. Did the necessary and actually testing. First tests seem convincing for the "selection mask". The "motion mask" remains a problem.

If one uses the selection mask to get an accurate result please note that the job is time-consuming since each image needs "calibration". Enjoy anyway.

Alain II

With reference to your query, please try one or more of the following solutions to further isolate your concern:

1. Ensure your CyberLink ColorDirector is up-to-date. You can check for software updates here: https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdirector-ultra/patches_en_US.html

2. Check the minimum system requirements. Make sure your system meets the minimum requirements for the software. You may check the minimum requirements here: https://www.cyberlink.com/products/colordirector/spec_en_US.html?affid=2581_1302_540

3. Update graphics card driver to the latest. You can download the latest driver from the AMD or NVIDIA or Intel’s website listed below. If you have any problem installing graphics card drivers, please contact your computer manufacturer or the manufacturer of the display and sound cards for the latest drivers.
AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
NVIDIA: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
Intel: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

4. Check whether the installed drive has enough space on it. This is because a large amount of memory space is required for buffering.

5. Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator. If you lack administrator access privileges, the CyberLink application might be unable to access the necessary files it needs.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 13. 2018 05:37