CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I "bring the blacks down and the whites up" in ColorDirector
Reply to this topic
[Post New]
I'm fairly new to color correcting and grading and recently bought ColorDirector to see if it would make my video editing any easier. I've also been watching a lot of YouTube videos on color correcting/grading and trying to understand the principles and to get a repeatable workflow that I can use.

It is very common in many of the training videos to hear people telling me to "bring up/down the whites and blacks." I cannot find where to do this in ColorDirector.

Where do I adjust the whites and blacks? Is it only in the Adobe products?

Does anyone have any advice or links to training for a color correcting workflow in ColorDirector?

Thanks!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 09. 2018 14:28

[Post New]
I made a small video to show how to "bring the blacks down and the whites up".

https://youtu.be/n6U0wG8VEuA

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
[Post New]
Very good demonstration, Hatti. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Keith, when viewing Hatti's screen capture, apart from looking at the adjustments being made under "Tone" and "Curve", notice how the histogram shifts.

PIX PhD CDR ADR DZ MVL PP Forum Moderator
PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Quote I made a small video to show how to "bring the blacks down and the whites up".

https://youtu.be/n6U0wG8VEuA

Hatti

OK, so it's in the Tone and Curves section. I guess it's just a different way of looking at it than in a program like Adobe (which I haven't used but was demo'd for me when I asked a friend how to do color correcting).

Hatti, that answers my question. Thanks very much for taking the time to create this tutorial video! And sorry for the delayed response.

Ultimately, it appears there are few shortcuts to learning color correcting and grading - mainly just have to dig in and experiment with everything until I develop my own process/workflow of what works for me. It's just that my first 20 or 30 attempts have ended up mucking the whole thing up because I tried to do too much. It's obviously a very delicate, and powerful, tool.

Thanks again!
[Post New]
Quote Very good demonstration, Hatti. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Keith, when viewing Hatti's screen capture, apart from looking at the adjustments being made under "Tone" and "Curve", notice how the histogram shifts.

PIX

PIX, yes, thanks for pointing it out! And I did notice that, and found a tutorial online that explains what histograms are and what purpose they serve; otherwise, the shifting histogram would be useless to me. As I understand it, the x axis of the graph goes from darkest black to brightest white, and the goal, usually, is to keep the plotted color points from slamming all they way to the left ("crushing the blacks") or to the right ("clipping the whites"). So the histogram is just a visual tool to help me see where the colors fall on this scale so I know that they are within the acceptable range (though I guess there may be times when one would want to "crush" some of the blacks or "clip" some of the whites). But I am just learning this, so if I'm getting it wrong or missing the main point I welcome your comments!
Reply to this topic