Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD16 project re-linking after source file recompression..?
Cartof [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 11, 2017 06:12 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, so i have few source files (1080p/60fps/50Mbit) that i use in a PD16 project with few cuts, few fades, nothing too complicated.

For space reasons i would like to recompress the source files with Media Espresso (from AVC to HEVC, from 50Mbit to 13Mbit, resolution and other properties will be the same) and i am wondering if my project will be later confused when it will see the source files modified in such a way..

Thanks!
StevenG [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Jan 14, 2014 14:04 Messages: 513 Offline
[Post New]
Your project file will definitely be confused since these will be essentially different media files.

But a larger issue may be your reason for needing to compress these files. Is your hard drive running out of free space? Even if you compress your files, you still may end up choking your system for lack of scratch drive space.

How much free space is on your hard drive? I would never try to edit video on a drive with less than 50-80 gigs of free space on it.
Cartof [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 11, 2017 06:12 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is your hard drive running out of free space? Even if you compress your files, you still may end up choking your system for lack of scratch drive space.

Well.. my 3 TB NAS will soon go out of space if i keep piling up tens of 20 GB shadowplay every few days..

Mediaespresso compresses 1:4 to HEVC at max 13 Mbit (maximum allowed..).