CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot install .dzt files in PowerDirector 16
Reply to this topic
[Post New]
I just bought PD16. I open it and click on titles, then click on downloaded and "free templates", which takes me to the Director Zone page. I sign in, download a few titles with matching aspect ratio of 16:9, click to open the downloaded .dzt files and a warning window from Windows 10 always comes up saying:
How do you want to open this file?
Look for an App in the store
Always use this App with .dzt files (check marked)
Except that no App is listed and I cannot open the files. Bottom line, I cannot install the downloaded titles. Any ideas please? Thank you.
Maybe important: I have been a long time user of PD v.12 and 14 and after installing PD v.16, I uninstalled the older versions. Would this delete something important?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2017 12:28

[Post New]
Hello CGB,
Welcome to the DirectorZone forum ""laughing""

The application used for installing DZ templates (.dz3dt, dza, .dzbl, .dzep, .dzl, .dzm, .dzp, .dzs, .dzt .dztr) is Effect Extractor.

In your Windows settings, go to Apps > Default Apps > Choose Default Apps by file type & make sure those file types have Effect Extractor assigned to them as default.

After that, you shouldn't have any further issues.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2017 13:03

PhD CDR ADR DZ MVL PP Forum Moderator
PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Quote Hello CGB,
Welcome to the DirectorZone forum """laughing"""

The application used for installing DZ templates (.dz3dt, dza, .dzbl, .dzep, .dzl, .dzm, .dzp, .dzs, .dzt .dztr) is Effect Extractor.

In your Windows settings, go to Apps > Default Apps > Choose Default Apps by file type & make sure those file types have Effect Extractor assigned to them as default.

PIX

THANK YOU! It worked. The only thing is that the .dzt and .dzp types were not listed among the file types in Windows settings and I could not easily figure out how to include them. So I again opened the downloaded files and searched for an app to open them. I found EffectExtractor in a folder inside the PhotoDirector 9 app folder. Thank you again.
websiteee [Avatar]
Member Private Message Joined: Apr 27, 2017 08:22 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
PIX solution is always effective, I personally use lots of tricks.
Monkeyhanger979981 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Location: Abingdon Joined: Feb 24, 2011 04:03 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello CGB,
Welcome to the DirectorZone forum """laughing"""

PIX

I have tried all the suggestions and the .dz files have all got Effect Extractor assigned. Alas the .dz files will not open.

Monkeyhanger Monkeyhanger
Ricardo Soto [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Aug 04, 2015 00:14 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
was this issue ever resolved i cant open dztr or dzp files to install in director 18?
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 5256 Online
[Post New]
Quote was this issue ever resolved i cant open dztr or dzp files to install in director 18?

Can you clarify what doesn't seem to work? You should be able choose Run/Open when you download an item from the DirectorZone website, and you should then see a confirmation message that the item has been installed.

Are you not seeing that confirmation message at all, or are you not able to find the downloaded/installed content in PD afterwards?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win10 Pro | i9-9900K (4.8GHz) | RTX 2070 | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Ricardo Soto [Avatar]
[Post New]

Can you clarify what doesn't seem to work? You should be able choose Run/Open when you download an item from the DirectorZone website, and you should then see a confirmation message that the item has been installed.

Are you not seeing that confirmation message at all, or are you not able to find the downloaded/installed content in PD afterwards?

Thanks for the repply.
When double cliking the file downloaded the message comes up how do u want to open this file. I have no apps or programs to relate to dzp extention.
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 5256 Online
[Post New]
Ok. Did you try the steps recommended by PIX above? You can also try uninstalling and reinstalling PD to see if that solves the problem.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win10 Pro | i9-9900K (4.8GHz) | RTX 2070 | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Ricardo Soto [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Ok. Did you try the steps recommended by PIX above? You can also try uninstalling and reinstalling PD to see if that solves the problem.

did that already I download the file I would like when downloaded double click and says how do u want to open this dzp file>
optodata
[Post New]
I guess I'm not clear on what you've already tried, because if you did what PIX posted, your problem would be solved. If you double-click on a .dzp file and Windows asks you what to do with .dzp files, it means that it does not know to use Effect Extractor.

When you get that screen asking what you want to do, you should see an option to search for More apps, and if you scroll to the very bottom you should see an option to Look for another app on this PC (assuming you're runnning Win10).

Now browse to this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files and select Effects Extractor.exe

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 10. 2020 20:52

YouTube/optodata

Ricardo Soto [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I guess I'm not clear on what you've already tried, because if you did what PIX posted, your problem would be solved. If you double-click on a .dzp file and Windows asks you what to do with .dzp files, it means that it does not know to use Effect Extractor.

When you get that screen asking what you want to do, you should see an option to search for More apps, and if you scroll to the very bottom you should see an option to Look for another app on this PC (assuming you're runnning Win10).

Now browse to this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files and select Effects Extractor.exe

I have windows 10 looks like what I am missing is effect extractor is not located under shared files.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 5202 Offline
[Post New]
Richard Soto - reinstall PD16 to solve the problem now that you checked for it.
Ricardo Soto [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Richard Soto - reinstall PD16 to solve the problem now that you checked for it.

fixed it, had to download a demo of power director which had the extractor.exe copied that file to a seperate folder, uninstalled the demo, reinstall the full software and copied extrator exe to the share folder. Its working now.
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for posting your solution. I'm glad you found a way to get it working!

YouTube/optodata

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 4325 Offline
[Post New]
Quote fixed it, had to download a demo of power director which had the extractor.exe copied that file to a seperate folder, uninstalled the demo, reinstall the full software and copied extrator exe to the share folder. Its working now.

Glad it's working for you but a unique solution. I'm really surprised the reinstall of the full software did not populate that dir with the required files, makes me question your install and/or media. Something amiss in my view that you needed to do it this way, what else are you missing perhaps?

Jeff
Ricardo Soto [Avatar]
[Post New]

Glad it's working for you but a unique solution. I'm really surprised the reinstall of the full software did not populate that dir with the required files, makes me question your install and/or media. Something amiss in my view that you needed to do it this way, what else are you missing perhaps?

Jeff

not missing anything else, I can download effects from directors zone and install to power director with no problem now. I am good now.
Reply to this topic