CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot install .dzt files in PowerDirector 16
Reply to this topic
[Post New]
I just bought PD16. I open it and click on titles, then click on downloaded and "free templates", which takes me to the Director Zone page. I sign in, download a few titles with matching aspect ratio of 16:9, click to open the downloaded .dzt files and a warning window from Windows 10 always comes up saying:
How do you want to open this file?
Look for an App in the store
Always use this App with .dzt files (check marked)
Except that no App is listed and I cannot open the files. Bottom line, I cannot install the downloaded titles. Any ideas please? Thank you.
Maybe important: I have been a long time user of PD v.12 and 14 and after installing PD v.16, I uninstalled the older versions. Would this delete something important?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2017 12:28

[Post New]
Hello CGB,
Welcome to the DirectorZone forum ""laughing""

The application used for installing DZ templates (.dz3dt, dza, .dzbl, .dzep, .dzl, .dzm, .dzp, .dzs, .dzt .dztr) is Effect Extractor.

In your Windows settings, go to Apps > Default Apps > Choose Default Apps by file type & make sure those file types have Effect Extractor assigned to them as default.

After that, you shouldn't have any further issues.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2017 13:03

PhD CDR ADR DZ MVL PP Forum Moderator
PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Quote Hello CGB,
Welcome to the DirectorZone forum """laughing"""

The application used for installing DZ templates (.dz3dt, dza, .dzbl, .dzep, .dzl, .dzm, .dzp, .dzs, .dzt .dztr) is Effect Extractor.

In your Windows settings, go to Apps > Default Apps > Choose Default Apps by file type & make sure those file types have Effect Extractor assigned to them as default.

PIX

THANK YOU! It worked. The only thing is that the .dzt and .dzp types were not listed among the file types in Windows settings and I could not easily figure out how to include them. So I again opened the downloaded files and searched for an app to open them. I found EffectExtractor in a folder inside the PhotoDirector 9 app folder. Thank you again.
websiteee [Avatar]
Member Private Message Location: Arizona Joined: Apr 27, 2017 08:22 Messages: 75 Offline
[Post New]
PIX solution is always effective, I personally use lots of tricks.
Monkeyhanger979981 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Location: Abingdon Joined: Feb 24, 2011 04:03 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello CGB,
Welcome to the DirectorZone forum """laughing"""

PIX

I have tried all the suggestions and the .dz files have all got Effect Extractor assigned. Alas the .dz files will not open.

Monkeyhanger Monkeyhanger
Reply to this topic