CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
MP4 files can't be burned to Blu-Ray, not recognized on PowerProducer 5.5
Reply to this topic
SNew [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Nov 27, 2017 16:06 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I just purchased and downloaded an MP4 video and tried to burn it to Blu-Ray. I received the message "Failed to add video file. This video file type is not supported". I've burned MP4 and WMV videos many times successfully, and the video itself plays fine on my PC. I'm puzzled about what is wrong. I'm running PowerProducer 5.5, Power2Go 8 and PowerDVD 12. Any suggestions for a fix? Is there a patch to fix or format issue to be aware of? Thanks in advance for any help!
sumerJ [Avatar]
Contributor Private Message Joined: Nov 28, 2013 05:37 Messages: 377 Offline
[Post New]
If you purchased the mp4 file, then I guess the file is protected by a DRM (digital rights management) mechianism, so you cannot burn it onto a blu-ray disc.
SNew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote If you purchased the mp4 file, then I guess the file is protected by a DRM (digital rights management) mechianism, so you cannot burn it onto a blu-ray disc.
I checked and the security information is all

Thanks for the idea. I checked Security under Properties and all permissions for system are allowed. Wouldn't a DRM show up there? Any other ideas?
sumerJ [Avatar]
Contributor Private Message Joined: Nov 28, 2013 05:37 Messages: 377 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If you purchased the mp4 file, then I guess the file is protected by a DRM (digital rights management) mechianism, so you cannot burn it onto a blu-ray disc.

Thanks for the idea. I checked Security under Properties and all permissions for system are allowed. Wouldn't a DRM show up there? Any other ideas?

It depends on where did you purchase the mp4 from, for ex. iTunes or Pandora. usually only the player can playback the video which you purchased. and if the player has burn to Blu-ray disc function, then you can burn that video.
SNew [Avatar]
[Post New]

It depends on where did you purchase the mp4 from, for ex. iTunes or Pandora. usually only the player can playback the video which you purchased. and if the player has burn to Blu-ray disc function, then you can burn that video.

Thanks. It was a zip download that played fine on a very basic Windows matchine with no player. I think it may be a format issue. I have read that PowerProducer can't burn all MP4s even though it says it does. It sounds like there are various formats that all get lumped under MP4, but only some will burn with the product. Do you know if WMV more likely to burn successfully than MP4? Or if there is a way to distinguish between the formats lumped under MP4?
SNew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I just purchased and downloaded an MP4 video and tried to burn it to Blu-Ray. I received the message "Failed to add video file. This video file type is not supported". I've burned MP4 and WMV videos many times successfully, and the video itself plays fine on my PC. I'm puzzled about what is wrong. I'm running PowerProducer 5.5, Power2Go 8 and PowerDVD 12. Any suggestions for a fix? Is there a patch to fix or format issue to be aware of? Thanks in advance for any help!

I have heard, and experienced once before, that the PowerProducer will not burn an MP4 format video. In my particular prior experience, there were no DRM or other restrictions or player requirements. Does anyone know how to distinguish between an MP4 that will burn and one that will not? Or does anyone know if WMV files are more likely to burn successfully. Thanks!
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

MP4 is just a container file. What is most important is what video codec was used to create the MP4 file.

PowerProducer 5.5 was last updated in 2012. It could be that your MP4 file is using a newer codec, like the H.265 codec, which is not even supported in PowerProducer 6:

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=15482

David
SNew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hello,

MP4 is just a container file. What is most important is what video codec was used to create the MP4 file.

PowerProducer 5.5 was last updated in 2012. It could be that your MP4 file is using a newer codec, like the H.265 codec, which is not even supported in PowerProducer 6:

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=15482

David

Thank you David! I checked the link and I read it to say MP4 videos are supported. Is that only partially true in your experience? Also, how can you find a CODEC for a video, and is there a way to convert to a format PowerProducer can support?
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

If you look at the link I posted it says PowerProducer 6 supports "MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)" files. The first part is the container MP4, and the last part is the codec. Just keep in mind that not all MP4 files have the same codec, which is the important part.

Yes you can convert your files. Just make sure they are converted with the H.264 codec. You can use CyberLink's MediaEspresso or a free program like HandBrake (just Google it).

David
Reply to this topic