Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PDVD17 doesn't play HDR (BT 2020) content
Rudolf L [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 13, 2017 10:27 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
It's a bloody shame that an expensive product lake PDVD17 doesn't play HDR (BT2020) content while Windows 10 (creators update) native and FREE Movies & Tv does the job very well PDVD17, Windows 10 Creators update, Nvidia 1050, KabyLake CPU, LG OLED 7 series, DENON X3300W
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It's a bloody shame that an expensive product lake PDVD17 doesn't play HDR (BT2020) content while Windows 10 (creators update) native and FREE Movies & Tv does the job very well

Movies & TV is the native player that Microsoft planted in Windows, I think it might have the BEST compatiblity on Windows PC than any other software player. (Yep, it may be lack of full video format support versus other open source players, because it does not invest that much on FULL video format codec so far.)

HDR specification for PDVD17, and the FAQ for your reference:

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=19876
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19881&isDraft=1#HDR

By the way, nothing is truly/purely free.
Rudolf L [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It's a bloody shame that an expensive product lake PDVD17 doesn't play HDR (BT2020) content while Windows 10 (creators update) native and FREE Movies & Tv does the job very well

Movies & TV is the native player that Microsoft planted in Windows, I think it might have the BEST compatiblity on Windows PC than any other software player. (Yep, it may be lack of full video format support versus other open source players, because it does not invest that much on FULL video format codec so far.)

HDR specification for PDVD17, and the FAQ for your reference:

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=19876
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19881&isDraft=1#HDR

By the way, nothing is truly/purely free.

What do you mean by: “Lack of full video format support versus other open source players” ? So far it plays anything I throw at it.

From the links you provided, I conclude that the only way to play HDR content is through a PDVD emulation, which never delivers the result the makers of the film intended.

I should’ve been more clear in my original post, probably. With “does not play” I actually meant that with every BT2020 encoded film, PDVD starts full screen, crashes, then rebounds with a window where it plays the film in a horrible greyish SDR image.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Oct 16. 2017 06:31

PDVD17, Windows 10 Creators update, Nvidia 1050, KabyLake CPU, LG OLED 7 series, DENON X3300W
websiteee [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 27, 2017 08:22 Messages: 72 Offline
[Post New]
Good say QC2.0 "nothing is truly/purely free". To play HDR I think you need to update your PDVD17.
Rudolf L [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Good say QC2.0 "nothing is truly/purely free". To play HDR I think you need to update your PDVD17.

I have the latest updated version PDVD17, Windows 10 Creators update, Nvidia 1050, KabyLake CPU, LG OLED 7 series, DENON X3300W
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Good say QC2.0 "nothing is truly/purely free". To play HDR I think you need to update your PDVD17.

I have the latest updated version

Keyword: NVIDIA GPU.
And, the compatibility info is explicitly listed on HDR requirements.

The HDR compatibility concern is well known by cyberlink engineers already.
Several users discussed about it on forum before.

It's up to you to ignore all of them simply.