Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"You have to be the administrator to activate the system. Only the administrator has the right to.."
mineskiller [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 05, 2017 18:18 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]

<pre>Getting this error here stating that I have to be an administrator and I
always "run as admin" as well. Installing from disk or online doesn't
change anything.

All of my drivers are updated running on 7700k/1080ti.

Is it because I'm running on Windows 10 Education education?
</pre>
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
The first thing I would try is to create a new administrator account.

Please post the Windows dxdiag.exe evaluation on your computer.

What is Windows Education education? Windows had (have) a Windows starter edition. if yours is like that, the program won't run well or not run at all.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2017 18:35

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
mineskiller [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The first thing I would try is to create a new administrator account.

Please post the Windows dxdiag.exe evaluation on your computer.

What is Windows Education education? Windows had (have) a Windows starter edition. if yours is like that, the program won't run well or not run at all.

Windows 10 Education is designed for students, workplace ready. With more features than Home or Pro, Windows 10 Education is Microsoft's most robust version - and you can download it at no cost*. Enjoy an improved Start menu, the new Edge browser, enhanced security, and more.

You can find more info about it here: http://onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-10-education-for-students/

I cannot create a new administrator account for some reason. But in "your info" I am the administrator.

You can find the DxDiag in the attachment.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
89 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
269 time(s)
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
From the dxdiag.exe file, it looks like your compter is a sick litle puppy.

Either Windows is screwed up or you have a virus. One of the errors is "dwm.exe". That could be a Windows function that got screwed up or a Virus. (Google for the error or find a friend/shop that can help you. Did you download and install anything that may have been questionable? Windows 10S is designed for security but anything is possible.

You also have a problem with "battle.net.exe". Is that a game or helper? It may be the reason that Windows got screwed up.

There are other less damaging errors but start with those.

Read about nVidia Streamer service. You may want to disable it.

BY the way, set your display to 100%; yours is much higher than that. Do you have a vision issue?

You might want to consider doing a Windows restore depending on what you have loaded and if you have the software to reinstall.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 07. 2017 09:04

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
mineskiller [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote From the dxdiag.exe file, it looks like your compter is a sick litle puppy.

Either Windows is screwed up or you have a virus. One of the errors is "dwm.exe". That could be a Windows function that got screwed up or a Virus. (Google for the error or find a friend/shop that can help you. Did you download and install anything that may have been questionable? Windows 10S is designed for security but anything is possible.

You also have a problem with "battle.net.exe". Is that a game or helper? It may be the reason that Windows got screwed up.

There are other less damaging errors but start with those.

Read about nVidia Streamer service. You may want to disable it.

BY the way, set your display to 100%; yours is much higher than that. Do you have a vision issue?

You might want to consider doing a Windows restore depending on what you have loaded and if you have the software to reinstall.

my Windows does not have a virus. I did both a malwarebytes and windows defender scan and found nothing.

Please educate yourself on what each actually program does. Battle.net is a platform to play Blizzard games. nVidia streaming services is related to my graphic cards which is the highest end.

And what does my display have to do with anything?? I play on 4k on a 27 inch monitor. Windows recommends to use 150% view for display or else your text will be tiny.

Actually did did a bit more research and looks like Powerdirector still can’t get it right with users with Windows 10 education edition. It’s sad really and I basically wasted $50.
stevek
[Post New]
I'm a user just like you and no one else has been answering your questions about your problem. Why are you being hostile? See the tag line in my signature.

I understand why you are pointing out what Battle.net and dwn.exe are. I would not have posted information about those two issues unless they showed up in the error messages at the end of the dxdiag.exe file. The fact remains that they are there and should not be.

Experience with about 6 other video and image editing programs suggests that 100% is the best for those programs. You can run those at 100% and others at the higher resolution. I have a 27 inch monitor and I'm much older than you and don't have a problem with reading anything on my monitor. Remember that text size can be set separate from resolution.

Did you submit a support question directly to Cyberlink?

Good luck (SM) .
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I think there are a couple of points to be drawn out here:

Firstly your initial post was fairly concise and lacked context so that members could only start to "guess" your situation. Guidelines on posting can be found here:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/63543.page

This led to the inital attempt to assist by eliciting further information.

As regular members know all too well, there really is no end to folk who insist they are all up to date, best of this or that, but the eventual solution (if there is one) is indeed part of a basic diagnostic process that has been bypassed, so it is often the place to start. This may be irritating to experienced users, but in the absence of a full context, that is just one of those things, I'm afraid.

Secondly, my understanding is that Win10S, which is what I assume you are running (but perhaps not?), "....... is streamlined for security and performance, and works exclusively with apps from the Windows Store."

As far as I am aware, PDR16 is not available from the Win store, and so one would assume that Win 10S cannot run it.

The following cyberlink products are listed in the Win Store :

Perhaps the PowerDirector Mobile app might suit you better?

I do not run a copy of Win 10S so I cannot test anything for you, nor have I seen any references on the forum to Win10S difficulties, which leads me to suspect there is no-one running it and using any standard version of PD.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator
[Thumb - win app store.PNG]
 Filename
win app store.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
72 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
147 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 07. 2017 11:50

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
mineskiller [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi,

I think there are a couple of points to be drawn out here:

Firstly your initial post was fairly concise and lacked context so that members could only start to "guess" your situation. Guidelines on posting can be found here:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/63543.page

This led to the inital attempt to assist by eliciting further information.

As regular members know all too well, there really is no end to folk who insist they are all up to date, best of this or that, but the eventual solution (if there is one) is indeed part of a basic diagnostic process that has been bypassed, so it is often the place to start. This may be irritating to experienced users, but in the absence of a full context, that is just one of those things, I'm afraid.

Secondly, my understanding is that Win10S, which is what I assume you are running (but perhaps not?), "....... is streamlined for security and performance, and works exclusively with apps from the Windows Store."

As far as I am aware, PDR16 is not available from the Win store, and so one would assume that Win 10S cannot run it.

The following cyberlink products are listed in the Win Store :

Perhaps the PowerDirector Mobile app might suit you better?

I do not run a copy of Win 10S so I cannot test anything for you, nor have I seen any references on the forum to Win10S difficulties, which leads me to suspect there is no-one running it and using any standard version of PD.

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

I clearly stated I’m running Windows 10 Education which you can clearly find in the third post. I built and own this computer for a couple months now.

It’s simple really I download the application manager online/or from installation disk on MY administration account. Btw I’m running this as “running as administrator”. After it’s done installing I run PD 15 and I get the error in the OP picture. I tried make other accounts, turning on UAC, and messing around with the security/user permissions on the app itself.

This is for PD 15 Ultimate. Btw the trial version works

Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2017 12:13

mineskiller [Avatar]
[Post New]
finally got it working. thanks
stevek
[Post New]
Quote finally got it working. thanks

How -- if you don;t mind. It may help others. .
Trav [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 10, 2019 23:48 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote finally got it working. thanks

Nothing worse than trying to find a solution to a problem and you find this!

I found a solution at https://serverfault.com/questions/809742/cyberlink-powerdirector-you-have-to-be-the-administrator-to-activate-the-syste

Solution is;

In any case, try running the application the first time as a "Local" user who is an admin, rather than an AzureAD user.
e.g. Create an admin user and run the program as that user.

• This Computer -> (Rigt-Click) -> Manage -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> (Right-Click) -> New User (Create the User)Find the user you just created, double-click on him, go to "Member Of" and add the "administrators group.

• Navigate to the folder where there is a short-cut to the program and right-click on the program with the SHIFT key pressed and choose "Run as a different user".

• Enter the username in the following format and the password as you set it: .\username

The program should run now.
JonnyPC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 31, 2016 12:06 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
All sounds like good advice that makes sense. That said, I have a new laptop with the latest Win 10 Pro & can't figure out how to get it to stop asking for an email address & password, as opposed to the username & password of the local admin account that I'm trying to run it under (as per the instructions above). Naturally, the local account does not have an email address.

Anyone encounter this issue?

Thanks,

JPC

Nothing worse than trying to find a solution to a problem and you find this!

I found a solution at https://serverfault.com/questions/809742/cyberlink-powerdirector-you-have-to-be-the-administrator-to-activate-the-syste

Solution is;

In any case, try running the application the first time as a "Local" user who is an admin, rather than an AzureAD user.
e.g. Create an admin user and run the program as that user.

• This Computer -> (Rigt-Click) -> Manage -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> (Right-Click) -> New User (Create the User)Find the user you just created, double-click on him, go to "Member Of" and add the "administrators group.

• Navigate to the folder where there is a short-cut to the program and right-click on the program with the SHIFT key pressed and choose "Run as a different user".

• Enter the username in the following format and the password as you set it: .\username

The program should run now.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
It looks like you have a completely different problem than the OP in this discussion. Please find the correct forum for your PD version and start a new topic there.

It would also help a great deal if you could post a screenshot of the login screen so forum members can assist you.

Use Alt+PrintScreen or the Windows snipping tool (Win+Shift+S), then paste it into Paint or any image editing app then save the image as PNG or JPG. Click on the Attachments button below the forum's text box to upload and share it in your new post.
JonnyPC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 31, 2016 12:06 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you, but my issue is precisely the issue discussed above other than the fact that my recent version Windows 10 Pro does not allow me to use noted solution above since it wants an email/pwd instead of username/pwd. Not sure if MS has changed something in Windows in the last couple years or what.

Quote It looks like you have a completely different problem than the OP in this discussion. Please find the correct forum for your PD version and start a new topic there.

It would also help a great deal if you could post a screenshot of the login screen so forum members can assist you.

Use Alt+PrintScreen or the Windows snipping tool (Win+Shift+S), then paste it into Paint or any image editing app then save the image as PNG or JPG. Click on the Attachments button below the forum's text box to upload and share it in your new post.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You may want to contact CL tech support to assist you then. You can reach them here.