CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
4K Blu-Rays, Intel SGX BIOS extensions, Ryzen CPUS...
Reply to this topic
[Post New]
No love for the Ryzen people?

https://imgur.com/a/GDR5P
eng050599 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jan 18, 2018 10:56 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote No love for the Ryzen people?

Unfortunately, this isn't under CyberLink's control, as the DRM requirements are set out by the Blu-ray Disc Association. They made it a requirement that playback of UHD Blu-ray's on PCs requires the use of the Intel SGX platform on the motherboard, and there's no alternative for AMD systems (and no options for systems using discrete GPUs, you literally have to use the onboard HDMI from the motherboard).

It's very much a hassle, but the powers that be decided to make UHD playback exceedingly difficult on PC.

As is normally the case in this type of situation, it's the legitamite consumers who have to deal with these headaches, as the pirates have already managed to bypass AACS 2.0 for quite a few movies, and can get proper 4K HDR10 playback using other software.

I personally gave up on PowerDVD when I installed the trial version to see if my ststem met the requirements, only to be told that the trial did not include the ability to actually test the software fully, and that I'd need to purchase the full sofware to see if it would work.

...I just said screw it at that point and went back to my standard Open Source media player, and it works just fine.
[Post New]
Quote No love for the Ryzen people?

Unfortunately, this isn't under CyberLink's control, as the DRM requirements are set out by the Blu-ray Disc Association. They made it a requirement that playback of UHD Blu-ray's on PCs requires the use of the Intel SGX platform on the motherboard, and there's no alternative for AMD systems (and no options for systems using discrete GPUs, you literally have to use the onboard HDMI from the motherboard).

It's very much a hassle, but the powers that be decided to make UHD playback exceedingly difficult on PC.

As is normally the case in this type of situation, it's the legitamite consumers who have to deal with these headaches, as the pirates have already managed to bypass AACS 2.0 for quite a few movies, and can get proper 4K HDR10 playback using other software.

I personally gave up on PowerDVD when I installed the trial version to see if my ststem met the requirements, only to be told that the trial did not include the ability to actually test the software fully, and that I'd need to purchase the full sofware to see if it would work.

...I just said screw it at that point and went back to my standard Open Source media player, and it works just fine.

I see no tangible benefits to purchasing further upgrades from CyberLink then. The idea that anyone would seriously consider going from a discrete GPU to an integrated GPU is laughable at best.
[Post New]

I see no tangible benefits to purchasing further upgrades from CyberLink then. The idea that anyone would seriously consider going from a discrete GPU to an integrated GPU is laughable at best.

Why do you say this? Even the ancient APUs from AMD, going on 10 years ago, were more than powerful enough to play Blurays. And those APUs are significantly weaker than any of the last few generations of IGPs out there.

For watching movies, a discrete card has not been needed for well on a decade now, it is simply a waste of electricity to use a discrete video card to play movies. Stronger and faster is not always better, and in this case it is actively worse.

That said, for someone who wants an all in one solution, they can have the IGP as part of their CPU and also have a discrete card. To use UHD, you will need to change which is the primary in the BIOS so it boots up using the IGP if you want to watch a UHD disc. Not optimal in any way, but at least a work around.

The reason the powers decided an embedded IGP is required is because you cannot tap the bus and steal the movie. Yes, it is stupid because there is software out there that will allow you to rip UHD discs, so all it does it make it harder on the legitimate end user. But that is not the fault of Cyberlink, they have no control over it. It has been this way since Version 17, when it was dictated upon them.
Reply to this topic