Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Graduated Filter Effect
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

Forgive me if I am asking a question with an obvious answer.

I notice a lot of TV documentaries darken the corners and sky in their productions. I assumed that they were using a graduate filter for this. I have used filters but found it a real fiddle when you are in a hurry, your hands are cold and your nose is running! So it occurred to me that this was probably done by adding an effect while editing. I thought what I would do would be to create a .png photo in photoshop with darkened corners that I could use as an overlay where required. Frankly this looked rubbish!

I then thought I could do better using Colour Director and true enough I could get the effect I was after by using the gradient tool on the corners of the clips. What I was wondering was is there any way to save this as a custom preset? This would enable me to get a consistent effect on each clip. To be honest I have never really used Colour Director so do not know my way round it at all.

Regards

Nigel
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
In the DZ there is a vignette frame you can try. There are over 100 presets available for colordirector with vignette for download. It would then seem reasonable that you can make your own preset.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi All

I notice a lot of TV documentaries darken the corners and sky in their productions. I assumed that they were using a graduate filter for this. I have used filters but found it a real fiddle when you are in a hurry, your hands are cold and your nose is running! So it occurred to me that this was probably done by adding an effect while editing. I thought what I would do would be to create a .png photo in photoshop with darkened corners that I could use as an overlay where required. Frankly this looked rubbish!

I then thought I could do better using Colour Director and true enough I could get the effect I was after by using the gradient tool on the corners of the clips. What I was wondering was is there any way to save this as a custom preset? This would enable me to get a consistent effect on each clip. To be honest I have never really used Colour Director so do not know my way round it at all.

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Under the ADJUSTMENTS - PRESETS Heading there is an icon that is a feather with a + sign - Try there

I hope that's what you want

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi All

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Under the ADJUSTMENTS - PRESETS Heading there is an icon that is a feather with a + sign - Try there

I hope that's what you want

Robert

Thanks Robert I will have a look at that tomorrow.

Nigel
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Robert

I have had another go at this and made some progress ...I think! I have done what you suggested and also found the relevant section in the Help file. My Preset is saved in the "My Custom Presets" folder but now the problem I have is trying to get it to apply to new clips. Nothing happens when I click on it. The file is a .cdadj file which I found in my AppData folder. I have tried moving it to reside alongside the customs presets supplied by Cyberlink and it still does nothing when I choose to click on it. As far as I can see I have followed the instructions to the letter; so I am a bit stuck.

I had a look at the Vignetting options on the adjustment tab but this just seems to create an oval over the whole frame. I just want to darken the sky corners.

Regards

Nigel
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Robert

I have had another go at this and made some progress ...I think! I have done what you suggested and also found the relevant section in the Help file. My Preset is saved in the "My Custom Presets" folder but now the problem I have is trying to get it to apply to new clips. Nothing happens when I click on it. The file is a .cdadj file which I found in my AppData folder. I have tried moving it to reside alongside the customs presets supplied by Cyberlink and it still does nothing when I choose to click on it. As far as I can see I have followed the instructions to the letter; so I am a bit stuck.

I had a look at the Vignetting options on the adjustment tab but this just seems to create an oval over the whole frame. I just want to darken the sky corners.

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

It seem to be working for me - here's what I do.

Using the vignetting as an example: I make the adjustments in the Manual section. Then I open Adjustments and select Presets then click on the feather+. In the window that opens I select save and give it a name. The effect is now alphabetically in My Created Presets. I highlight the clip on the CD timeline (or more than one with shift key. Finally click on the preset in My Created Presets and Bob's your uncle. You can also drag the preset to clip.

See if I've said any thing you are not doing - I think it's the Manual Section creation that you are missing

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 30. 2017 07:13

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Robert

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Using the vignetting as an example: I make the adjustments in the Manual section. Then I open Adjustments and select Presets then click on the feather+. In the window that opens I select save and give it a name. The effect is now alphabetically in My Created Presets. I highlight the clip on the CD timeline (or more than one with shift key. Finally click on the preset in My Created Presets and Bob's your uncle. You can also drag the preset to clip.

See if I've said any thing you are not doing - I think it's the Manual Section creation that you are missing

Robert

Robert

That is exactly what I thought I was doing! I have to go out for a few hours but I will try again carefully following your recipe when I get back.

Nigel
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Robert

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Robert

Robert

That is exactly what I thought I was doing! I have to go out for a few hours but I will try again carefully following your recipe when I get back.

Nigel

Nigel

Another way to do it is to keep the clip in PowerDirector, highlight it, right click and select "edit video image" "edit in ColorDirector" This should then open CD in the Manual section where you set up you vignette effect by scrolling down to the last option (your clip should already be in the CD timeline). Then just select "create" at the bottom. Save the effect as before, and then at the top of the page click on "back" Your clip should be on the PowerDirector timeline with the vignette effect. At the same time your preset should have been saved in CD

The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Robert

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Robert

Robert

Nigel

Nigel

Another way to do it is to keep the clip in PowerDirector, highlight it, right click and select "edit video image" "edit in ColorDirector" This should then open CD in the Manual section where you set up you vignette effect by scrolling down to the last option (your clip should already be in the CD timeline). Then just select "create" at the bottom. Save the effect as before, and then at the top of the page click on "back" Your clip should be on the PowerDirector timeline with the vignette effect. At the same time your preset should have been saved in CD

One thing to note: If cd is opened within PowerDirector, use the "back" button to get file to PD. If CD is opened individually you must use "file export to PD" to get the clip into PD

Robert
Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Robert

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Robert

Robert

Nigel

Nigel

One thing to note: If cd is opened within PowerDirector, use the "back" button to get file to PD. If CD is opened individually you must use "file export to PD" to get the clip into PD

Robert

Robert

Nope! No luck trying it that way either. I attach the file I made using the instructions. Can I ask you to save it to your Custom Presets and see if it works? It should darken the left and right top corners.

For your information it does save the Gradiation back to the clip in PD but if I choose a second clip and try and alter that one by using the saved custom preset in Colour Director it has no effect. So at the moment there is no point in me saving custom presets.

Thanks

Nigel
 Filename
Graduated Sky.cdadj
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
375 time(s)
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Robert

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Robert

Robert

Nigel

Nigel

Robert

Robert

Nope! No luck trying it that way either. I attach the file I made using the instructions. Can I ask you to save it to your Custom Presets and see if it works? It should darken the left and right top corners.

For your information it does save the Gradiation back to the clip in PD but if I choose a second clip and try and alter that one by using the saved custom preset in Colour Director it has no effect. So at the moment there is no point in me saving custom presets.

Thanks

Nigel

Nigel

I downloaded it and something does happen, but it seems to be the whole image.

Try the one I have uploaded and see if that's different. See how you get on with it

Robert
 Filename
Vignette effect.cdadj
[Disk]
 Description
vignette effect for CD
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
347 time(s)
Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Robert

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Robert

Robert

Nigel

Nigel

Robert

Robert

Thanks

Nigel

Nigel

Try the one I have uploaded and see if that's different. See how you get on with it

Robert

Robert

Yes that one inserts a vignette on all 4 corners. My one still does nothing on my PC! Wierd that mine has some effect on your clips but not what was intended. When I made it all I did was use the gradiation tool on both top corners and then adjusted the exposure setting to darken them. When it came to creating and saving the preset I entered a name but left all the other settings as offered. It said it was using the settings at video time code 00.00.00.00. The start of the clip. I don't suppose that is relevant.

Nigel
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Robert

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Robert

Robert

Nigel

Nigel

Robert

Robert

Thanks

Nigel

Nigel

Robert

Robert

Yes that one inserts a vignette on all 4 corners. My one still does nothing on my PC! Wierd that mine has some effect on your clips but not what was intended. When I made it all I did was use the gradiation tool on both top corners and then adjusted the exposure setting to darken them. When it came to creating and saving the preset I entered a name but left all the other settings as offered. It said it was using the settings at video time code 00.00.00.00. The start of the clip. I don't suppose that is relevant.

Nigel

Nigel

Why not use the proper vignette tool at the bottom of Adjustments - Manual?

collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Robert

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is that I don't want a complete vignette I just want to shade specific parts.

It seems to me the problem lies with the use of the graduated tool. I created another preset as a test in which I reduced exposure and increased contrast over the whole frame but did not use the gradient tool. This works perfectly. However after using the test preset I tried the graduated preset (the one that did not work) and the result was it wiped out my underexposed test and my clip reverted to its pristine condition. If you have time perhaps you could do a wee experiment using the graduating tool to see if it is a bug in Colour Director. You have been very helpful so I understand if this is not a valid use of your time.

Regards

Nigel
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Robert

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is that I don't want a complete vignette I just want to shade specific parts.

It seems to me the problem lies with the use of the graduated tool. I created another preset as a test in which I reduced exposure and increased contrast over the whole frame but did not use the gradient tool. This works perfectly. However after using the test preset I tried the graduated preset (the one that did not work) and the result was it wiped out my underexposed test and my clip reverted to its pristine condition. If you have time perhaps you could do a wee experiment using the graduating tool to see if it is a bug in Colour Director. You have been very helpful so I understand if this is not a valid use of your time.

Regards

Nigel

Nigel

I did realise that you only wanted the top half, I just assumed you would clear the bottom section in Photoshop.

I will have a look at the graduating tool when I can

Regards