Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error code 0xeb020b88
Snooze [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 07, 2011 00:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have build Power2Go 6.1.0.3802 that came with my Blu Ray Burner. I tried all suggestions above and still get error code 0xeb020b88. I have not found any patches for this software. First two burns worked flawlessly. I have had three errors at various stages in the burning process wasting three discs afterwards (<$30.00).

AMD Quad Core
4 gigs of ram
Lite-On iHBS212-08
80gig, 10,000rpm hard drive
ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G Motherboard

Verbatim Media 50GB 6X BD-R DL Model 97335
Snooze [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 07, 2011 00:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
My previous post was prior to windows 7 service pack 1. Computer is now completely up to date. I had two successful burns and things looked promising. Third disk retired after 26% or so @ 6x write speed. Reliability is out the window and this is way to expensive to continue. Any solutions?! How about a patch or is there anything I can do?
BrotherBart [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 11, 2011 17:04 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have come to the conclusion it has nothing to do with Cyberlink but rather more to do with the computer/hardware. I too am getting this error. I tried using Cyberlink for burning, it failed. I tried Windows for burning and it failed. Uninstalled Cyberlink and tried Nero 7, it fails as well. That eliminates it being software. Windows is detecting my drive as a burner BTW.

I then tried a BD-R disc, DVD+R, and CD-R (all different brands) at the slowest setting and all failed in all 3 programs. That eliminates it being the media.

I then tried a different USB burner (different model even) and it failed as well. I tried the burners on two different computers and they ran flawless. That eliminates it being the burner.

I then formatted my machine and installed XP Pro (vs. Home I was using) and with just the burning software, same error/issue with all 3 programs, all 3 media. I formatted and installed Vista and checked to make sure I didn't have the registry entries already mentioned... I didn't and I still got the same error with all 3 programs & all 3 media.

2 different model drives, 3 different media, slowest burn speeds, 3 different OS's, and 3 different programs, always the same issue, yet the burners and programs have no problem on other machines.

I have found I get this error from Cyberlink when I'm burning on a working machine and then unplug the burner before being done. This seems to be a generic error from Cyberlink that means your burner has stopped responding.
As from above I believe I have eliminated it being an OS problem, if you experience it with XP you will experience it with Vista and Windows 7 (and vice versa). Have eliminated it being the drive, since I put in a different model burner of 3 years prior and had the same problem existing only on my computer as both burners worked fine on every other computer I tested. Eliminated it being the software, as none of 3 software(s) I tried worked even at lowest speed.

All I can conclude is, I believe there's a chip inside our systems that is defective or buggy with certain other hardware. That explains why I got the same issue over 3 operating systems and 3 different programs. Each one has to use the motherboard and same buggy chip. When we tell the system to burn, the signal is interpretted in this buggy chip to park or spin down the drive. You can't burn to media that isn't spinning (mine regardless of what I do stops spinning after 45 seconds when burning). I updated all my drivers, the BIOS of my burner, and going to try updating the BIOS of my computer. If that doesn't work, and it is what I think it is, there is little hope for a fix.

What I have also learned, is changing the connection type seems to work. I only have this issue when trying to use a USB burner, my SATA burner works fine in the machine with this problem. So, if you get a burner with USB & eSata and have a laptop that has both connections try the other one (and be aware with eSata the drive has to be plugged in BEFORE turning on the machine). If you have a desktop and the burner is SATA, I would guess getting a Sata PCI plug-in card should work with the burner plugged into it as it would bypass the motherboards controller). I also believe those who have an issue using SATA should not have a problem using a USB burner or firewire burner instead since it will use different chips (don't quote me on that). This all is if you have the exact same issue I do (my burner is recognized as a burner by the system, I can read blu-ray, DVD, and CD just fine, the OS recognizes my drive is a burner, but clicking on burn does something for a moment then eventually the drive spins down and after some minutes I get this error). It's apparant to me anyway that there are 3 different issues lumped into this one post (drive isn't recognized by the system, drive is recognized but not as a burner by system, and lastly drive is recognized and flagged as a burner but fails to burn is the one I'm referring to and the most common on this post). A different model computer should use different chips, and moving it to a different computer or getting a new one will likely solve this as well. I believe it's the motherboard and the built-in controller along with the hardware. In my case I always error using USB external burners, SATA has no issues. I also think the only hope is a BIOS update, as I believe it's a buggy chip on our motherboards that tells our drives to spin down during a burn.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Jul 12. 2011 09:17

lokifv [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 18, 2011 03:01 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Do you notice that usb ports come in pairs?

for those of you that have external USB drives especially the slim drives like this one. It has two usb plugs--one is for communication, the other is to draw extra power.
http://www.netbookreviews.net/wp-content/uploads/Asus_external_dvd_all.jpg

the problem is that the drive is not getting enough power from the usb ports. I discovered that if I connect both of these usb to a pair of usb on the computer--(two ports that are next together is considered a pair), then I get the error 0xeb020b8. Not only with Power2go with the drive fails with any other burner software.

So I decided to switch one of the usb connector to another pair, far away from the first connect then voila! When each usb connector is drawing power from the same pair on the computer it's not drawing enough power so it literally falls of the detection grid as if it was disconnected and has to be reconnected. I notice that after it fails, the computer redetects it as if you had just unplug and replug it.

Any how, if each usb draws power from two separate pair, then it draws enough power, provided that you don't have another device drawing power from the port next to the ones that's connected to your slim drive.

In other words, to burn discs at maximal power, you will need a total of 2 unused pairs of usb ports. Plug one into one pair (leaving one port on that pair alone),then plug the other one into another pair (leaving the one on that pair alone). Unplug other devices that are not being used. You should have enough power then. good luck.
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 23, 2011 16:57 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trying to burn a data disc to back up some files before I send in my laptop for (display) repair. I keep getting an error; "Error code 0xeb020b88, Fail to create file on disk."
Running HP DV7, Windows 7 x64bit
Power2Go ver.6.2
Burner DVD RW (model AD-7701H)
Supported Writing Formats
CD-R,RW; DVD-R,RW; DVD+R,RW; DVD-R DL; DVD+R DL

Any help? Buller? Anyone? PLEASE!!!!
DarkRandom [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2012 11:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello.

I had this same issue and found a possible solution. For my situation I was trying to burn a DVD +R or DVD +RW and got this error code.

I had a very large jar (900mb+) file in the root of the data that I was trying to burn. I moved this file to a directory and the burn succeeded.

It was failing when the status was "Preparing" originally so this probably will not help if the failure is during the actual writing process.

Hope this helps.

ROBERTUSEK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 25, 2012 21:56 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
The most likely reason for this error is not enough space on your HD.At least it was my solution for this error.
Steps to solve:
Go to:
Project-Preferences-General-Temporary Directory
Place your Temporary Directory in Disc with a lot of space. Robertus
DarkRandom [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 04, 2012 11:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
It can't have been a temp space issue in my case because the total amount being burned was the same, I only moved the large file into a directory rather than burning it at the root level of the DVD. I also have several gig free on both drives in the system.
bardo301 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2014 11:34 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have to say that although this error code is really annoying (I seem to get it every time on P2GO V6 writing to dual-layer DVD's, even at slow speeds), nevertheless in many cases the copy has actually worked OK. I have even gone through all the data, which in my case is invariably video, copied them all back to my hard disk and played them through to check that all the data is there. Not very satisfactory, I know, but can save a lot of faffing about. To be fair to Cyberlink they are not the only big company with products writing video to a DVD that give me a failure code but have actually worked - Corel's Videostudio to name but one.
DJ-Piet [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 29, 2015 08:34 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all with the same problem discribed here.

Also that chat is older, I think the solution may help also others who will get this chat following the Google results. I had a few days ago the same problem with this error after installing my system completely "fresh". It doesn't matter if you use Nero, CyberLink or Ashampoo Burning Studio 2015, the burn process failed with each one. After some investigations I recognized what I previously changed. Basically I replaced my old SSD HD with a new bigger SSD but also changed some cables.

The first change I did (and it worked directly) is a change of the CyberLink TempFiles folder. This folder was reffering to my system drive on the SSD HD. With my old installation it was reffering to a standard Hard Drive.

Ok, this worked but I had to lower the burn speed at the same time. Then I remembered that I used the same power cable for the BD-ROM and some HD drives I use now in parallel. I also recognized that after a burn process abborted as I started to work with a HD which was used with the same power cable (so there must be a corelation...

Usually every expert says that a BluRay drive shall be not cascaded using the same power cable. Ok, I opened my PC and changed this hardware setup and used only one additional drive with the same power cable. All other drives and my sound card are now connected and cascaded with other power cables.

And what shall I say, everything is working perfect now. I can use my BD drive with full speed, the Temp Folder can be also the SSD system drive and so on. Also some programms start much quicker than before the change. This makes also sense, some HD drives lost from time to time the power for a very small moment so that the data transfere failed also for a very short moment. This is not happening now after the change of the power cable setup.

I hope that this solution may help also some of you.
Paul [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 24, 2015 15:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
and what with an external blu-ray driver connected to a laptop, how do you the change there
DJ-Piet [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 29, 2015 08:34 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
To be honest, I assume that this error is refering somehow to power management. Just from my experience with the power cables.

I would propose to connect the BD drive to an external power source and not trying just to connect via USB. USB have only a very low power provision for external components. A BD RAM drive will need for sure more "energy" as the USB connector can provide during the burn process.

But as said, just an assumtion.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
DJ-Piet Some blu ray drives (like the Samsung SE-606) do not have the ability to plug into a power source. I have that drive and do not have a problem burning to blu ray .

USb ports on the front of a desk top do not have the powere to run that burner properly. You must use ports on the back of the computer. Laptops are a different matter.

Perhaps your assumptionneeds re=examined. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Paul [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 24, 2015 15:54 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I tried it on my laptop and on my computer, but indeed at the front usb. So I will try on the back usb of my computer and post it if it worked.
Thanks anyway for the reaction
Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 30, 2015 09:22 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks very much to stevek. The erratic BR burning performance of my Samsung SE-506 has been completely resolved since I began using the desktop back ports instead of the front USBs. I have not experienced any further errors.

Mike M.
Mirco [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2016 14:43 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have the same issue, but it looks it happens only with specific folders/movie files (if I try to burn a different one I have no issues).
Please help!!!!
Thanks in advance
Mirco
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
I have the same issue, but it looks it happens only with specific folders/movie files (if I try to burn a different one I have no issues).
Please help!!!!
Thanks in advance
Mirco

Pleas start your own thread !

if you read this one and tried the solution and it didn't work for you, you have a different problem. A new thread woulod be dedicated to you if you start one. Tell us what blu ray player you have and attacha dxdiag.e3xe evaluation of your computer. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.