Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Changing original source file...
[Post New]
I have a project well underway in PD15. However, I'd like to try some color grading of the original material in a 3rd party stand alone program. This "altered" source material will (or could) be saved with the same name and/or overwriting the original file - again, the name would (or could) stay the same. In other words, I take a file, mess with it in this 3rd party software, then put it back in the same place with the same name but altered.

If the "source" file is changed on material currently being in a PD15 project, will those changes automatically be reflected in the material being edited? Is there a way to "update" or reload a fresh proxy file to amke sure the changes "stuck?"
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
See no problem at all. If the filename, extension and total length of time is the same, then the file substitution should be fine. You should see the color difference when the projected is loaded in PD15.

You can always save a backup of the original in case you don’t like the processed file or is not confident of this in the beginning.
[Post New]
Thanks! Been experimenting and kindof came to the same conclusion! It's going to take some file management at this point with duplicate copies of everything and segragating the graded versions. Easier to do on the front end, but at least it can be doneat this stage.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I do something similar all the time. Just come up with a naming convention with a few characters that are easily replaced. For instance, video1_LR_.m2ts (LR=low res) and video1_CC_.m2ts (CC=color corrected) and so on. Then use any basic text editor and replace _LR_ with _CC_ in the PD pds file. I use a couple of old dos scripts as it gives one more flexibility to easily change names without lots of typing and always work on a backup copy of the pds file. I’ve had very few issues with approach.

Approach has many applications, a good manual way to generate lower res editing files to ease CPU requirements when working with very HQ source video. Originally discussed back in the sone ages here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20203.page#post_box_106809 and rebranded many times as here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43102.page#post_box_222623 with a nice step by step guide.

I've even used the approach to create a "standard" slide templete pds file that I'd like to reuse and then simply create a orig pic > new pic file translation table and perform the change on the pds file. A little scripting capability helps a lot. When one is changing out 100's of pics it's much easier than manually editing the timeline and changing out photo's without loosing all the edits.

Jeff