CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Malware in MediaEspresso
Reply to this topic
SteveB523 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jun 26, 2011 00:57 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
My antivirus software (WebRoot) detected a PUA called Conduit when I downloaded the MediaEspresso 7.5 a couple of days ago. It permitted me to install the software and then removed two files related to the PUA.

Later, when I attempted to download the current update, WebRoot refused to even let me download the update due to different Malware.

In an attempt to be helpful, I filed a ticket with technical support. Their responses has been horrible: "disable your antivirus and install it anyway".

Thanks but no thanks.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 4377 Offline
[Post New]
See this post: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/How-do-I-know-if-it-is-a-false-positive/td-p/271642 .
SteveB523 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Jun 26, 2011 00:57 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]

First, you never told me it was a false positive. If you think it is, you should tell me that AND tell me why you think it is a false positive.

I believe I have a good reeason to belive its not a false positive - first, there were two files that WebRoot actually removed after the initial install, one of which was named Conduit. That wasn't a false positive - that was real.

Secondly, there are multiple reports on this forum of malware in your download files. That's why I'm not going to turn WebRoot off and download the update files anyway.

Also, it seems to me that you're telling me to do your job: work with WebRoot to figure out whether or not WebRoot is generating a false positive. Had you asked me nicely, I might have been willing to do that, but you didn't.

If you've had issues with WebRoot generating false positives in the past, you didn't give me any indication of that.

And what would happen if WebRoot investigated and determined they were right. What would you do then? Why should I be in the middle?
Reply to this topic