Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is it time to convert everything to H.265?
rjohns75 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2013 18:27 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Today I produced the same 44 minute 1280 x 720 30P MP4 video in two formats:

1) H.264 at 10,000kbps (3.2 GB file size) production time ~30 min

2) H.265 at 5,000kbps (1.7 GB file size) production time ~80 min

I was really suprised that the video quality appeared to be indentical eventhough there was a big difference in file size. This is important to me because I record high school basketball games and post them online for the players and it would be great if I could reduce my cloud storage. Can H.265 be played on most computers and cell phones? It works on my Samsung Note 5 but I'm not sure about other computers and Apple devices. If yes, it might be time to invest in one of CyberLink's conversion applications and convert my entire library to save space.

Robert
[Post New]
Quote Can H.265 be played on most computers and cell phones?

Yes, it can be played on most medium to high speced phones. However, what makes you think that the file remains encoded in H.265 on your video storage website (didn't say what it is)?
rjohns75 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2013 18:27 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]

Yes, it can be played on most medium to high speced phones. However, what makes you think that the file remains encoded in H.265 on your video storage website (didn't say what it is)?

I upload the files to Google Drive which gives them the option to download it to their device/computer to play it or stream it directly form Google Drive. I assumed the file format stayed the same.
Pasta514
Newbie Location: California Joined: Dec 28, 2016 23:58 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Today I produced the same 44 minute 1280 x 720 30P MP4 video in two formats:

1) H.264 at 10,000kbps (3.2 GB file size) production time ~30 min

2) H.265 at 5,000kbps (1.7 GB file size) production time ~80 min

I was really suprised that the video quality appeared to be indentical eventhough there was a big difference in file size. This is important to me because I record high school basketball games and post them online for the players and it would be great if I could reduce my cloud storage. Can H.265 be played on most computers and cell phones? It works on my Samsung Note 5 but I'm not sure about other computers and Apple devices. If yes, it might be time to invest in one of CyberLink's conversion applications and convert my entire library to save space.

Robert

For the sake of completeness can you also produce the video again like this:

3) H.264 at 5,000kbps

I think the file size is most closely related to the bit rate, and YouTube recommends a 5M bitrate for 720p anyway.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

the if there was a way to compare the quality at the same bitrate that would seal the deal.