Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
face recognition very slow
flyfishchris1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 31, 2011 12:43 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
as i build up face reconition photodrector 8 becomes incredibly slow. for faces that build a large data basae, say a few hundred or more, after selecting the name the software takes 1-2 minutes to process this and move on to the next face.

brand new lenovo laptop.

i7 processor

win 10 64bit

16gb ddr4

256gb ssd & 1tb drive

amd radeon r9 m375 4gb

this should be plenty of power for this software.

is anyone else experiencing this incredibly slow face recognition on large photo databes?
[Post New]
Hello flyfishchris1,

Welcome the the PhotoDirector forum laughing

Just as a guide, I imported two folders of photos ALL containing people/faces (about 15 different people at gatherings). The photos were .JPG & .CR2 from a Canon 5D MkIII. The first folder of ~100 pics took 58 seconds to process face recognition. The second folder of ~250 photos took 1 min 23 secs to process.

After assigning names to faces, I had the 350 photos all tagged in about 8 minutes. To me, that seems reasonable. How does that compare with what you're finding?

Face tagging is not a regular part of my workflow, since about 80% of photos I take have none. I did notice that, compared to earlier versions of PhD that face recognition was almost error free. I only had to skip 5 photos of the 350 & 2 of those were clowns at a fun park!

PIX PIX YouTube channel
flyfishchris1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply.

the times you have posted are about what i experienced at first.

i imported the same photo library i had in Picasa, which is quite large.

the initial scan went fairly quick especially given the volume of photos. the original groupings were very accurate and i began assigning names which went real fast.

the slowdown started only after i had tagged quite a few faces. for example the most tags i have associated to one face is 811. now if i add to that same one it takes a loooong time to process that. if i tag faces that i dont have many of, 100 or less, it processes just fine. if i skip a face it processes fine. so as i build the database it gets slower and slower....not feasable to use.

i figured if Picasa could handle my library this must but i am thinking i made an error

power director 15 runs like a dream, photodirector not so much

tech support has log files etc they asked from me to look into this. that was yesterday so i continue to wait and see....
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Just an extra thought. Do you have an anti virus prog or a prog that looks for registry errors continiously running in the back ground as you carry out you Face search? If so, any of these prog WILL slow down your PC . I used to have AVG running in the back ground as I thought it helpedbut it doesn't! It is now longer on my system and what an improvemnet in speed. I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
flyfishchris1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
kyle 40 that is a good thought and i do have anti virus running. i already tried turning it off and no difference.
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Quote kyle 40 that is a good thought and i do have anti virus running. i already tried turning it off and no difference.

OK, I'm quite impressed that PotoDirector can recognise faces in profile view as well!

Really saddened about Picasa now being discontinued, however it can still be downloaded. I'm furious at Win 10 deciding to take over the viewing of video files, it's removed the ability to view these files from my Picasa set up and I can't undo it, the video file option is now greyed out in Picasa settings! I think I' have to unistall the last lot of Win 10 updates to see if I can get it back. I hate Win 10 for thisyell I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
flyfishchris1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
i finally heard back from tech support r&d team. they basically told me to reduce preview resolution and increqse cache size and reduce the amount of faces i tag and/or photos imported. so in short the software cant handle large libraries of photos.
[Post New]
Hello again.

I'm sorry you're having the issue with face tagging of large libraries/folders.

Here, I've tried to replicate your circumstance by importing folders with "solid" numbers of photos, many of which include some of the same faces tagged previously (i.e. the same people).

The current project now has a total of 2000+ photos, which I've face-tagged progressively as each folder is imported. During that process, I've not noticed any slowing down.

Folder 1 ~100 photos - 0:58 | Folder 2 ~250 photos - 1:23 | Folder 3 ~360 photos - 1:56 | Folder 4 ~ 200 photos - 1:17 | Folder 5 ~ 420 photos - 2:15 | Folder 6 ~180 photos - 1:08 | Folder 7 ~ 260 photos - 1:25 | Folder 8 ~ 300 photos - 1:38 (times according to face tag progress bar)

I should add that, right now, the PC I'm using is in need of some maintenance & is not running as well as usual. That aside, I cannot suggest a possible cause for the slowing down you're experiencing.

Certainly, I can see that if one used PhotoDirector as a complete library of ALL photos, the database of face tags etc would become bloated. For this 2000+ project alone, the face tagging cache folder is >2GB.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
flyfishchris1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Pix,

again, thanks for your feedback and suggestions. The time it takes to recognize a face exists is quite reasonable. No issues there. It's when you actually assign names to faces it starts to be slow. Start tagging a certain person and after about 200 you will see the processing time extend significantly.

So yeah, you are correct using this software and importing all of a large library is not really the way to go.

I still really like this software for playing around in and editing, enhancing etc.

I am doing free trials of several others to compare. Dumping same photos in and we will see what happens when I start tagging.
[Post New]
PhotoDirector 9 - 4 photos = 15 seconds. Ridiculous.

Quote Hello again.

I'm sorry you're having the issue with face tagging of large libraries/folders.

Here, I've tried to replicate your circumstance by importing folders with "solid" numbers of photos, many of which include some of the same faces tagged previously (i.e. the same people).

The current project now has a total of 2000+ photos, which I've face-tagged progressively as each folder is imported. During that process, I've not noticed any slowing down.

Folder 1 ~100 photos - 0:58 | Folder 2 ~250 photos - 1:23 | Folder 3 ~360 photos - 1:56 | Folder 4 ~ 200 photos - 1:17 | Folder 5 ~ 420 photos - 2:15 | Folder 6 ~180 photos - 1:08 | Folder 7 ~ 260 photos - 1:25 | Folder 8 ~ 300 photos - 1:38 (times according to face tag progress bar)

I should add that, right now, the PC I'm using is in need of some maintenance & is not running as well as usual. That aside, I cannot suggest a possible cause for the slowing down you're experiencing.

Certainly, I can see that if one used PhotoDirector as a complete library of ALL photos, the database of face tags etc would become bloated. For this 2000+ project alone, the face tagging cache folder is >2GB.

PIX
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote PhotoDirector 9 - 4 photos = 15 seconds. Ridiculous.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

It would be much better to start your own thread rather than to add to a 2 plus year old thread. Please describe your computer (dxdiag.exe if you are using W10), and exactly how you are using the program. Where are your images - internal or external hard drive, memory stick, etc? The more information, the better.

Thanks .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.