Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I can't import MOV files recorded by my Ninja 2 with my PD15
Siow Kiang [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 24, 2014 02:18 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I read through the forums and found that most can import MOV files. HOwever I can't seem to be able to import. Is the MOV recorded by the Ninja 2 different? Pls. let me know if I have done anything wrong. I can't find the quicktime installer file my downloaded PD exe file.

">

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2016 21:39

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Siow Kiang -

Quote: Is the MOV recorded by the Ninja 2 different?

Very different. MOV is just a container. What's in the container is the difference.

The Atomos Ninja2 records from your camera in ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 LT. Which option did you have selected?

I don't have any sample clips recorded with the Ninja2, so I can't test here. PDR15 will import other ProRes clips with QuickTime installed. That may possibly be your issue.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Siow Kiang [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply. It was recorded in ProRes 422 HQ.

I will try to record in the other setting.

My Quicktime player is v7.7.9. It can't play this 422 HQ file too.

Best Regards

Siow Kiang

Quote Hi Siow Kiang -

Very different. MOV is just a container. What's in the container is the difference.

The Atomos Ninja2 records from your camera in ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 LT. Which option did you have selected?

I don't have any sample clips recorded with the Ninja2, so I can't test here. PDR15 will import other ProRes clips with QuickTime installed. That may possibly be your issue.

Cheers - Tony
Siow Kiang [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Sorry the Quicktime player can play the ProRes 422 HQ, and I tried recording in both 422 and 422 LT, and I could play them with my quicktime.

Unfortunately, I still can't import them in PD15.

Best Regards

Siow Kiang

Quote Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply. It was recorded in ProRes 422 HQ.

I will try to record in the other setting.

My Quicktime player is v7.7.9. It can't play this 422 HQ file too.

Best Regards

Siow Kiang

Quote Hi Siow Kiang -

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
If you could record a very short ProRes HQ sample - just a few seconds - and upload it for sharing, members could test and we may find a cause/workaround.

I'd assume, if you're using QT Player that QuickTime is installed... so that's not the issue.

Similar problems with different ProRes clips have been raised in the forums before:

Here - different file conversion options were suggested. I doubt that that 4:2:2 subsampling would be retained in conversion, but that would allow you to work with your clips. Perhaps one of the more experienced Magic+PD users could test optodata's suggestion in that thread.

Other ProRes HQ (4:2:2 subsampling) sample files I've tested import & play fine in PDR15.

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
Quote MOV is just a container. What's in the container is the difference.

It might be just container, but it is a very closed format. If one wants to edit ProResHQ files might as well buy a Mac. Because a Windows NLE that cost less than $100 won't be of any help.

Personally I don't buy anything that uses MOV format for video. OK, my DSLR has that, but I am not using it for video.
Siow Kiang [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Ok. I am attaching a 2 sec video recorded inProPes HQ.

Thanks agin for your help

Siow Kiang

Quote If you could record a very short ProRes HQ sample - just a few seconds - and upload it for sharing, members could test and we may find a cause/workaround.

I'd assume, if you're using QT Player that QuickTime is installed... so that's not the issue.

Similar problems with different ProRes clips have been raised in the forums before:

Here - different file conversion options were suggested. I doubt that that 4:2:2 subsampling would be retained in conversion, but that would allow you to work with your clips. Perhaps one of the more experienced Magic+PD users could test optodata's suggestion in that thread.

Other ProRes HQ (4:2:2 subsampling) sample files I've tested import & play fine in PDR15.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
NINJA2_S001_S001_T035.MOV
[Disk]
 Description
ProRes HQ file
 Filesize
58162 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
158 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Clip imports fine for me, just need QT.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD15_PRORES.png]
 Filename
PD15_PRORES.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1141 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
35 time(s)
ynotfish
[Post New]
I'll just ditto what Jeff posted (screenshot & all) laughing

Import & playback not an issue here.

Cheers - Tony
Siow Kiang [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jeff & Tony,

Thanks for checking my video clip.

I can play it with my Quicktime, but just can't understand why my PD 15 cannot import it. Just tried again to import this 2 sec clip, but still no go.

I read in the forum that I can try to delete my Quicktime and re-install the Quicktime that comes with the program. I bought my PD15 by downloading, and I can't seem to find the 'quicktime installer' that is supposed to have been included in the program.

Have you both hear of such suggestion?

Best Regards

Siow Kiang

\
Quote I'll just ditto what Jeff posted (screenshot & all) laughing

Import & playback not an issue here.

Cheers - Tony
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Clip imports and plays fine to my PD15 2219. tried it with QT 7.74 first and just upgraded to 7.7.9

Both played the clip in standalone mode and within PD.

I've never had to do anything special with QT or PD, which was installed as part of DirectorSuite 5 so............??

Cheers

Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Siow Kiang, is your only version of PD on the box that cannot import your clip PD15? Did you ever have a previous version installed on it? If only PD15 that may be the issue. I believe when CL removed MOV QT support at PD15, one cannot just install QT to recover. Your missing some interop functionality perhaps. I do not see QT as part of my PD15 install (Director Suite) like it was in previous install exe files. If suspicion is correct, one option is to convert the file with Handbrake.

A little like SmartSound which was also removed at PD15. If you had it from a previous PD version, you still have it in PD15 but not a clean PD15 install.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 07. 2016 22:38

Siow Kiang [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. I have previous version of PD. But I unistalled them before i installed PD15.

I found the QT installer in my PD13 disk. My PD 14 was a download version, and I can't find the QT installer.

I will un-install my PD 15. Install my PD 13 and then install PD 15 and see if it solves my problem.

But before that I will like to try 'Handbrake'.

Thanks again everyone.

Best Regards

Siow Kiang

Quote Siow Kiang, is your only version of PD on the box that cannot import your clip PD15? Did you ever have a previous version installed on it? If only PD15 that may be the issue. I believe when CL removed MOV QT support at PD15, one cannot just install QT to recover. Your missing some interop functionality perhaps. I do not see QT as part of my PD15 install (Director Suite) like it was in previous install exe files. If suspicion is correct, one option is to convert the file with Handbrake.

A little like SmartSound which was also removed at PD15. If you had it from a previous PD version, you still have it in PD15 but not a clean PD15 install.

Jeff
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I found the QT installer in my PD13 disk. My PD 14 was a download version, and I can't find the QT installer.

Not sure on your particular version of PD14, but QT is just buried in the install exe files. It's usually in the first install exe file, for my download the filename was 1_CyberLink_PowerDirector14_UltimateSuite_PUS150720-02.exe If one uses like winrar to extract the files from the exe you will see a directory as follows that contains the QT install, PDIR\Setup\Utility\QuickTime

However, my point was you may need more than just the QT installer, in your case I'd fully install either PD14 or PD13 and try your clip there. Both PD13 and PD14 load your clip fine for me.

Jeff
Siow Kiang [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jeff and all,

But I don't know what happened, maybe my un-installing and re-installing, my C drive crashed. So I did a clean installed of my Windows 10, and installed my PD13, it could see the ProRes MOV file, then I updated to PD15, skipping PD14, and I can now import the MOV file. Thank God, all seems ok now. I just have to try a longer clip.

Thanks again everybody.