Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Edit Clip Speed disrupts timeline
[Post New]
Hello folks,

So I've been using PD for a while now and I think I'm pretty familiar with the program, but I've come across an issue and I want to know if there's a fix or something...

Basically, this is the situation:

I have a five minute clip (the target edit length is 5 min, all my source material is about 2 hours)

And I'm working on my project for a few hours, edits here, cuts there, transitions, particles, etc etc etc

Synchronicity is extremely important to me, I absolutely must have that splash in the water synchronized with that cymbal crash on the audio track. Make sense? (I posted before about an audio/video project I was working on where the actual audio didn't even match up with the peaks/valleys shown in the editor, but that's a different story).

All this ramble, my concern is that I take a 30s clip, speed it up to double the speed, so it reduces itself to a 15s clip.Confirm the edit, clip changes size, no problem.

Problem. Every other clip on the timeline to the right of this clip also moves to the left by 15s. Not just the track I'm working on, but every track in the project.

As a workaround, I've been taking the little clip I want to edit, putting it at the very end of the project, making the speed adjustment, and then moving it back to it's proper place in my timeline. I've been doing this a lot, and for a long time.

It's a workaround, and I can do it, no problem. But it's annoying! LOL

And sometimes, after I zoom out, the clip is so small on the timeline that I cannot click and grab it with the mouse. So I end up zooming in until I can grab it, and then I click and drag it to the end of the timeline, and I gotta sit there for what feels like 5 minutes just waiting for it to scroll to a safe work area.

Would be so much user-friendly if I could edit the speed, the clip would accept the edit, and every other clip on the timeline stay in place. Kind of like cutting, remove and leave gap or remove and fill gap.

With the edit speed function it seems hardwired to fill gap.

So my question is: is there any way I can move this clip to a place where I can edit it safely, without having to spend all this extra time moving it to the end of my project?

I hope that makes sense,

Thanks in advance for any feedback
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
If you lock the tracks you don't want to auto adjust from the speed change with the padlock in the left edge of the timeline they won't adjust.

Jeff
Mega6 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 03, 2012 19:54 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have noticed this exact problem. Modifying the speed of a clip can disrupt or damage other clips on the timeline. I have tried moving the clip to the end of the timeline before changing its speed, as J.Todd0114 does, but my experience is that there is no predictability as to the results. I have been using PowerDirector for years to make pretty complex video edits. This problem with modifying the speed of clips was never an issue for PowerDirector 10 and earlier versions. It is a source of enormous frustration to me that a program can actually become less functional with each new version, and get away with it. I personally could not care less about the many new bells and whistles touted by upgrades if the program can't do the fundamental stuff right.

My system info:

Dell XPS 8700Windows 8.1Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-4700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 2 DIMMsNVIDIA GeForce GT 635 1GB DDR3Installed Memory (RAM): 8 GBSytem Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s