Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Director Zone Downloads
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

I would be grateful if you would clarify the legal position with regard to downloading music or sound clips from Director Zone. Are you free to use these for personal and commercial use? I note for instance that some of the music offered sounds like it has been recorded by an orchestra for instance Beethoven 5th symphony. If it is free to use, how to you accredit it?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi All

I would be grateful if you would clarify the legal position with regard to downloading music or sound clips from Director Zone. Are you free to use these for personal and commercial use? I note for instance that some of the music offered sounds like it has been recorded by an orchestra for instance Beethoven 5th symphony. If it is free to use, how to you accredit it?

Use at your own risk and trust that the person that uploaded the content followed the rules. Read this: http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/info/termsOfService.jsp

Remember that all of this is for non-commercial use. If you plan to sell your project, then you cannot use the downloads.

I am not a lawyer but am a good reader. If in doubt, contact Ctberlinbk directly.

By the way, I was challenged by YouTube several times for music issues. I responded that the music was from Cyberlink who had the permissions. That seemed to be enough. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi collie581 -

Here's a related thread in the DZ forum - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49226.page

It's pretty hard to imagine that every contributor to DirectorZone has actually *created the effects from scratch. Many would use "found" images. I know I have on may occasions... e.g. http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/124829011 - I did not create the image. All I did was give it a transparent background and apply motion.

BUT - by uploading it to DZ, I'm saying to you "You can use it as you wish" (even though I probably don't have a legal right to).

Clear as mud, right?

Cheers - Tony

* Create: to make something new or original that did not exist before
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks to both of you for that. It is more or less what I thought. I don't think I will take the risk of using the music at least. The firm I used to work for (a lawyers firm!) got landed with a 4 figure demand because the company that created its website used a "found" image of an office chair on one of the pages. It has made me very careful.