Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Grouping clips to Move
LynnM45 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 30, 2016 21:19 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
How do you group clips in the Timeline? I have a bunch of clips that all need to be moved much further forward in the Timeline. I've tried using the mouse to select several clips at a time, but that does nothing. Right now, I am moving each clip individually, and it's taking me forever. I've seen other posts where people talk about grouping clips, but I can't find anything that tells me how to do that, since selecting them doesn't work.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Select the first clip, if the clips are continuous, hold the shift key and select the last clip in the range. These will be highlighted in a blueish color and can be moved together, as a temporary group, or once highlight, right mouse click on selection and use the Group/Ungroup Objects.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2016 08:31

Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
Hey:

You do need to select the multiple clips concerned. You should be able to do so by clicking on each of them while holding down the CTRL key. This is a fairly standard feature in different applications and different operating systems. You can also deselect clips one at a time this way without deselecting the others (toggle selection of one clip while not affecting selection of the others).

It should also be possible to select a row of clips all at a time by clicking on the clip at one end of the row, holding down the SHIFT key, clicking on the clip at the other end of the row, and releasing the SHIFT key. It might even work across multiple tracks. Standard feature again!

If you want to group such selected clips more permanently, use the Group/Ungroup Objects item in the contextual menu (that pops up on right clicking on the selected clips). There doesn't appear to be any indication of clips having been grouped but when you click on any of the grouped clips at any later time, all of them get selected rather than just the one clicked on.

Jeff was faster than me but let me give one additional comment: you can group/ungroup clips that don's sit next to each other on the timeline; you obviously need to use the CTRL key approach to select them if there are other clips between them…

Jirka

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 01. 2016 08:26

LynnM45 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 30, 2016 21:19 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you! I had tried that, but couldn't tell they were all selected. It worked, so thanks very much.