Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Applying a transition to a group of clips stacked on top of each other in the timeline
stevejon38 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 05, 2016 18:09 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I am not sure that this can be done but would welcome some advice if anyone can help.

I have created a split screen effect by stacking four clips on top of each other so that the viewer sees the screen split into four quarters each with a separate video running simulataneously.

At the end of the sequence, I want to use a transition to the next clip that applies to the whole and not just to the clip featured in track 1, which is all that I seem to be able to do.

Am i being too ambitious in expecting something that can't be achieved within the PD14 software?
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 08. 2016 11:05

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am not sure that this can be done but would welcome some advice if anyone can help.

I have created a split screen effect by stacking four clips on top of each other so that the viewer sees the screen split into four quarters each with a separate video running simulataneously.

At the end of the sequence, I want to use a transition to the next clip that applies to the whole and not just to the clip featured in track 1, which is all that I seem to be able to do.

Am i being too ambitious in expecting something that can't be achieved within the PD14 software?

To me it sounds like you can simply apply a ending fade to each of the 4 quarter clips and then a leadin fade to your next whole clip for the effect you are looking for. Attached is a timeline pic that may help.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD14_quadfade.png]
 Filename
PD14_quadfade.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
622 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
31 time(s)
stevejon38 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to apply a transition (wipe clock) that would crossfade from the quad-screen clip to the next single clip without a fade in and out involved other than using the crossfade option needed to drag and drop the transition onto the timeline.

Does this make sense?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds like you are trying to stack transitions if I understand your need correctly. PD can't really do that in a single edit session that I know of, what I'd do is just preproduce the section of the quad screen with the wipe clock transition on the end of the 4 clips. Bring this back into the timeline as source video and do a cross transition with this footage and your next single clip. Adjust cross transition to start at the timecode of the wipe clock.

Jeff
LostTarget [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2008 11:38 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
I was just this AM looking on how to do this and came to conclusion to use a fade at the end of each. I went back and put in the Wipe Clock as suggested by Jeff and looking good.
stevejon38 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for all of all your commnents and help.